Re: Modified [+] behavior on statusline

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
      On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 at 5:14pm, Mathias Michaelis wrote:

      > Hello Hari
      >
      > >> Why is the "Modified flag"/[+] in the statusline showing that
      > >> the file is not modified (IOW [+] disappears), when the file
      > >> has been modified and saved as a *different* file.
      > >>
      > > I don't know if anyone saw this message, but I had a chance to
      > > test this out and correct a problem. Now it seems to work as
      > > expected at least for the regular files that I tested. I have
      > > created a Tip with this information at the below URL:
      > >
      > > http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=812
      > >
      > I simply tried out your tip without understanding every and each
      > detail. Alas, it's a problem that when I type :w or :wq now to save
      > (and exit) vim, the "modified flag [+]" does not disappear and so I
      > cannot quit vim with :wq.
      >
      > In my opinion, the "modified flag [+]" should disapear if one writes
      > the buffer to its associated file. However, if one writes the buffer
      > to a *different* file, it shoud not disapear.
      >
      > Thanks anyway!
      > Mathias

      I didn't expect this to impact the :w and :wq commands without filename
      arguments because they shouldn't trigger this autocommand. May be my
      understanding isn't correct, let me research in to this.

      --
      Thanks,
      Hari

      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Hari Krishna Dara
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
        On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 at 9:46am, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

        > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 at 5:14pm, Mathias Michaelis wrote:
        >
        > > Hello Hari

        > > > I don't know if anyone saw this message, but I had a chance to
        > > > test this out and correct a problem. Now it seems to work as
        > > > expected at least for the regular files that I tested. I have
        > > > created a Tip with this information at the below URL:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=812
        > > >
        > > I simply tried out your tip without understanding every and each
        > > detail. Alas, it's a problem that when I type :w or :wq now to save
        > > (and exit) vim, the "modified flag [+]" does not disappear and so I
        > > cannot quit vim with :wq.
        > >
        > > In my opinion, the "modified flag [+]" should disapear if one writes
        > > the buffer to its associated file. However, if one writes the buffer
        > > to a *different* file, it shoud not disapear.
        > >
        > > Thanks anyway!
        > > Mathias
        > >

        > I didn't expect this to impact the :w and :wq commands without filename
        > arguments because they shouldn't trigger this autocommand. May be my
        > understanding isn't correct, let me research in to this.

        Ok, I was wrong, the autocommand gets triggered even for bare :w and :wq
        commands. The fix is to simply avoid the workaround in such cases. I
        have updated the tip with this information. Thanks again for reporting
        this issue.

        --
        Thanks,
        Hari