paste and wrap

  • Darren
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
      hi
      I have set wrapmaergin to 1 in my vimrc file and it work as I would like but when
      I paste in a big chunk text it does not wrap. Is there a way to make it wrap?
      Also whan in edit mode (is that what it's called(not insert mode)) how do in insert a CR to split a line?
      Darren

      No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
    • David.Fishburn@sybase.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
        Right after you paste you could try:
        :gq']

        '] Is set automatically when you paste.

        HTH,
        Dave

        I have set wrapmaergin to 1 in my vimrc file and it work as I would like but when
        I paste in a big chunk text it does not wrap. Is there a way to make it wrap?
        Also whan in edit mode (is that what it's called(not insert mode)) how do in insert a CR to split a line?
        Darren

        No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
          Darren <darrenwhite@...> wrote:
          > hi
          > I have set wrapmaergin to 1 in my vimrc file and it work as I would
          > like but when
          > I paste in a big chunk text it does not wrap. Is there a way to make
          > it wrap?

          I'm not sure. Maybe chek options whose names start with 'paste' (:help
          'paste<Tab> or :help 'paste<Ctrl-D>)

          > Also whan in edit mode (is that what it's called(not insert mode))

          the usual name is Normal mode.

          > how do in insert a CR to split a line? Darren

          after cursor position: a<CR><Esc>
          before cursor position: i<CR><Esc>

          To open a new, empty line above or below current line (starting from Normal
          mode): O or o (followed by <Esc> if you don't want to stay in Insert mode).

          In a mapping, type it as above, angle brackets and all. From the keyboard,
          each <...> is one key. See :help <> and scroll both up and down.

        • Antony Scriven
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2004
            Darren White wrote:

            > [...]
            > Also whan in edit mode (is that what it's called(not
            > insert mode))

            Normal mode.

            > how do in insert a CR to split a line?

            I use the following two maps. They search for preceding or
            following white space and replace it with a newline. (I got
            the idea from Eli the Bearded, to give credit where it is
            due.)

            :map \, ?[ ^I]^Mr^M
            :map \. /[ ^I]^Mr^M

            But these are vi-style with what should be literal control
            characters. In vim's idiom they would be:.

            :map <leader>, ?\s<CR>r<CR>
            :map <leader>. /\s<CR>r<CR>

            If you don't want these maps to affect your search history
            you could use the substitute() function in a script. But
            that's getting more complicated. I guess you could also make
            sure that whitespace preceding or following that which is
            found could also be removed:

            :map <leader>, ?\s<CR>:s/\s*\%#\s*/\r/<CR>
            :map <leader>. /\s<CR>:s/\s*\%#\s*/\r/<CR>

            But that means autoindent won't have any effect. So you
            could then do:

            :map <leader>, ?\s<CR>a<CR><Esc>:-s/\s*$//<CR>+
            :map <leader>. /\s<CR>a<CR><Esc>:-s/\s*$//<CR>+

            To preserve autoindent, even if the cursor is in the middle
            of whitespace, you could try (man, you could go on forever
            with this!):

            :map <leader>, ?\s<CR>?\S<CR>/\S<CR>i<CR><Esc>:-s/\s*$//<CR>+
            :map <leader>. /\s<CR>/\S<CR>i<CR><Esc>:-s/\s*$//<CR>+

            I think I like this one best, thanks! :-)

            Bear in mind that these maps will allow the cursor to cross
            line boundaries while you may prefer the search to only
            occur in the current line. You could fix that by using
            techniques specified at :help \%l. I think I'll stop now.

            Antony
          • Darren
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
              Hello, thanks for the help. I find it quite scary at just how much vim can do. I haven't got any of the :map commands to work yet, in fact I don't even know what they are but now I have an idea of what to type after :help.
              Regards Darren

              No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.