Re: Mapping ` to

  • Antony Scriven
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      J. Tuttle wrote:

      > Whenever I try to map ` (back quote) to <Esc> (Escape),
      > it doesn't work.
      >
      > The command I'm using is:
      > :map ` <Esc>
      >
      > However, whenever I'm in insert mode, it just types "<Esc>". I've
      > tried using the :imap command, too; it doesn't help either.

      Sounds like you are running in vi compatibility mode. Or at
      the very least have '<' in 'cpoptions'. Any one of:

      :set nocompatible
      :set cpoptions&vim
      :set cpoptions-=<

      will fix this. Check out the help files to see which you
      want. I would suggest that the actual commands you want are:

      :noremap! ` <Esc>
      :vnoremap ` <Esc>

      That way you can use ` as escape in all modes if you want.

      Antony