Re: Mapping ` to

  • A. S. Budden
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Thus spake J.P.:
      > Whenever I try to map ` (back quote) to <Esc> (Escape), it doesn't work.
      >
      > The command I'm using is:
      > :map ` <Esc>
      >
      > However, whenever I'm in insert mode, it just types "<Esc>". I've
      > tried using the :imap command, too; it doesn't help either.

      :imap ` <Esc>

      works for me

      Al
    • Antony Scriven
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        J. Tuttle wrote:

        > Whenever I try to map ` (back quote) to <Esc> (Escape),
        > it doesn't work.
        >
        > The command I'm using is:
        > :map ` <Esc>
        >
        > However, whenever I'm in insert mode, it just types "<Esc>". I've
        > tried using the :imap command, too; it doesn't help either.

        Sounds like you are running in vi compatibility mode. Or at
        the very least have '<' in 'cpoptions'. Any one of:

        :set nocompatible
        :set cpoptions&vim
        :set cpoptions-=<

        will fix this. Check out the help files to see which you
        want. I would suggest that the actual commands you want are:

        :noremap! ` <Esc>
        :vnoremap ` <Esc>

        That way you can use ` as escape in all modes if you want.

        Antony