Re(2): VimRegEx.vim beta

  • jeanphilippe.gois@b-rail.be
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      Antony Scriven (30/09/2004 11:47):
      >Jean-Philippe Gois wrote:
      >
      > > Antony Scriven (30/09/2004 11:21):

      > > >Case sensitivity! `:help -u' $ vim -u NONE
      > > >
      > > >Antony
      > >
      > > Indeed, sorry. But even with "vim -u NONE -U NONE", it
      > > has the compatible flag set (and thus a huge cpo :
      > > cpoptions=aAbBcCdDeEfFijJkKlLmnoOprsStuwWxy$!%*<)
      >
      >That's correct behaviour: vim starts in vi-compatibility
      >mode.
      >
      >Antony

      Ok. I did not realize that vi compatibility was held if there was no vimrc or
      exrc at all. So shouldn't there be
      a system wide vimrc installed with a fresh install of vim (even an empty
      vimrc)? That way, people just
      installing and starting vim would not undergo the vi compatibility. Or is it
      intended that people have to
      explicitly set up a vimrc to run a "real" vim?

      Flupke
    • Ciaran McCreesh
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        On 30 Sep 2004 13:58:00 +0200 jeanphilippe.gois@... wrote:
        | Ok. I did not realize that vi compatibility was held if there was no
        | vimrc or exrc at all. So shouldn't there be
        | a system wide vimrc installed with a fresh install of vim (even an
        | empty vimrc)? That way, people just
        | installing and starting vim would not undergo the vi compatibility. Or
        | is it intended that people have to
        | explicitly set up a vimrc to run a "real" vim?

        Well... Gentoo does something sneaky here, hence why you're seeing
        different results. For various reasons we, er... highly encourage vim
        not to start in compat mode unless the user explicitly requests it.

        --
        Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
        Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
        Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
      • Dave Silvia
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          Now this to me makes sense. Vim is far enough removed from vi, I think,
          that if someone is using Vim, it's because they want to use Vim (not vi).
          So the default of nocompatible makes more sense. Let the die hard vi users
          force compatibility instead.

          thx,
          Dave S.

          *** | Ok. I did not realize that vi compatibility was held if there was no
          *** | vimrc or exrc at all. So shouldn't there be
          *** | a system wide vimrc installed with a fresh install of vim (even an
          *** | empty vimrc)? That way, people just
          *** | installing and starting vim would not undergo the vi compatibility. Or
          *** | is it intended that people have to
          *** | explicitly set up a vimrc to run a "real" vim?
          ***
          *** Well... Gentoo does something sneaky here, hence why you're seeing
          *** different results. For various reasons we, er... highly encourage vim
          *** not to start in compat mode unless the user explicitly requests it.
          ***
          *** --
          *** Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
          *** Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org