RE: mapping extra modifier keys

  • Jiri Jezdinsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      > I don't think Windows blindly captures and throws away combinations with
      > the "logo" key; I know Alt- key combinations send a different message
      > (WM_SYSKEYDOWN rather than WM_KEYDOWN), but you can still get these
      > messages.
      >
      > In Linux, these keys are mapped as modifiers along the lines
      > of Alt and
      > Ctrl. Any X application can see them if it tries.
      >
      > I am aware that I could use multi-key sequences rather than a
      > modifier-key combination, but now that I have thought of this, I would
      > really like to know definitively (is there a vim developer listening?)
      > if vim has this capability (and obviously, how to do it if it is
      > possible 8-) ).

      I'm afraid that it will never be possible.
      In Vim 6.3 was changed the way vim reads keys, which caused impossibility to
      read key mappings with Alt key for all non-latin1 codepages (eg. Alt-x returns
      letter "o" and there is no way how to find out if you really pressed "o" or
      Alt-x).
      There were already couple of threads about this issue, but were ignored by
      developers.
      When Vim cannot recognize Alt mappings you cannot expect it will recognize Win
      mappings (and perhaps all developers are on Linux and their keyboards have no
      Win key ;-))

      There was a suggestion to change the way Vim recognizes keys to eg. Alt-x return
      <A-x> (or <M-x>) and not ascii char 248, but is was ignored too...
      IMHO at least gVim deserves better key recognition, to allow Ctrl-Shift and
      Ctrl-Alt combinations and why not Win combinations too?

      Now you can only install some external hotkey/macro application and let it
      convert key combinations to text.

      jj