Whythere is folder called vimfiles?

  • Sanjeev Sapre
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
      Hello,
      When I install VIM on windows. I have two folders under vim. viz. vim63 and vimfiles. It is observed that vim63 and vimfiles have same subfolders. But vimfiles has no any files in subfolders. What is the purpose of these folder? Can I remove it ?

      Regards,
      Sanjeev Sapre
    • Dave Silvia
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
        This is your personal Vim runtime. If you download any scripts, write any
        scripts, modify any scripts, add colorschemes, add documentation, add
        bitmaps, add keymaps, ... this is where they go. This area is searched
        after Vim loads its normal runtime files, that is, the ones in vim63. This
        allows you to tailor Vim the way you want it. You can get rid of it, if you
        want, with no real repercussions. But, I'd keep it if I were you (doesn't
        really take up that much space) in case you want to add/modify in future.

        Ref: :h vimfiles
        :echo &runtimepath

        HTH:

        thx,
        Dave S.

        *** When I install VIM on windows. I have two folders under vim.
        *** viz. vim63 and vimfiles. It is observed that vim63 and vimfiles
        *** have same subfolders. But vimfiles has no any files in
        *** subfolders. What is the purpose of these folder? Can I remove it ?
        ***
        *** Regards,
        *** Sanjeev Sapre
        ***
        ***
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
          Sanjeev Sapre <SanjeevS@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > When I install VIM on windows. I have two folders under vim. viz.
          > vim63 and vimfiles. It is observed that vim63 and vimfiles have same
          > subfolders. But vimfiles has no any files in subfolders. What is the
          > purpose of these folder? Can I remove it ?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sanjeev Sapre

          See
          :help 'runtimepath'
          :help :runtime (and note the case "with exclamation mark")

          The directories in 'runtimepath' are roots of directory trees with the same
          structure; they have slightly different uses:

          1) $VIMRUNTIME (for instance C:\Program Files\vim\vim63): scripts installed
          with the distribution

          2) $VIM/vimfiles (for instance C:\Program Files\vimfiles): scripts written
          or downloaded by the user to replace totally scripts from the distribution,
          or to make up for scripts missing in the distribution. These scripts are
          system-wide.

          3) $HOME/vimfiles or $HOME/.vim (for instance C:\Documents and
          Settings\JohnSmith\vimfiles on Windows or /home/johnsmith/.vim on Unix):
          same as (2) above, but for one user only.

          4) $VIM/vimfiles/after (for instance C:\Program Files\vimfiles\after):
          scripts to slighly modify scripts of the same name and tree position in (1)
          above. System-wide.

          5) $HOME/vimfiles/after or $HOME/.vim/after (for instance C:\Documents and
          Settings\JohnSmith\vimfiles\after or /home/johnsmith/.vim/after): small
          changes to scripts in (1), (2) and/or (4) above. User-private.

          Many other Vim commands run internally the equivalent of a runtime! command.

          HTH,
          Tony.
        • Keith Roberts
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004

            Short answert ... Leave them!

            They are for adding your own macros, plugins, etc. so they will
            automatically be found/loaded. When you are ready to start customizing
            your vim environment, then Google vimfiles and you should see lots of
            discussion about how to utilize this structure. Until then, they are
            doing you no harm.

            --
            Keith
          • Sanjeev Sapre
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
              I do used to use some plug ins and sytanx file changes but i used to do it in vim63 only ( or vim62 earlier ) now i will do it in vimfiles.
              in fact this has solved my another problem. i use one zip file ( customize.zip )containing all the plugins/syntax files with path. so whenever i install vim on new machine i just have to unzip it so files go into their proper path. so customizing to my taste was very fast and easy. earlier i have problem that when version changes say from vim61 to vim 62 then my path in zip files become invalid. with "vimfiles" i can use same zip file to customize vim immediately.

              regards
              Sanjeev