Re[2]: Easy On The Eyes

  • Alan G Isaac
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
      On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Robert Melton apparently wrote:
      > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=985

      Very nice.
      But try
      :h colorscheme
      and then set your colorscheme.
      I think the black stretch initiated by the '>'
      is surprising.

      Cheers,
      Alan Isaac
    • Alan G Isaac
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
        For increased portability of the run commands files,
        (_vimrc and _gvimrc in my case)
        it would be nice if the argument for
        colorscheme was a list of color names.
        (So that first found wd be used.)

        Or is there any easy way to test for
        the availability of a colorscheme?

        fwiw,
        Alan Isaac
      • jonah
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
          > Dark backgrounds work best in a dimly lit
          > environment. Lighter or white
          > backgrounds are best in an a brightly-lit
          > environment or where there is
          > a lot of natural light, even under the
          > 60Hz green-hued flickering of
          > fluorescent lighting. So if you're the
          > type to write code typically at
          > 2:00 a.m., and the only source of ambient
          > light is a small lamp in the
          > corner and the glow from some burning
          > incense, you'll be happier with
          > darker schemes. Just don't expect to open
          > a browser window without
          > being annoyed by the glare.

          GD,

          Thanks for the discussion. Do you have a reference
          for the info above? I'd like to learn more about
          this.

        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
            This seems interesting it just poked its head up on slashdot.org.

            http://www.utexas.edu/supportut/news_pub/yg_kwallek-color.html

            Enjoy if interested.

            Dave
          • Antoine J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
              Alan G Isaac <aisaac@...> wrote:
              > For increased portability of the run commands files,
              > (_vimrc and _gvimrc in my case)
              > it would be nice if the argument for
              > colorscheme was a list of color names.
              > (So that first found wd be used.)
              >
              > Or is there any easy way to test for
              > the availability of a colorscheme?
              >
              > fwiw,
              > Alan Isaac

              Try checing the value of g:colors_name. It won't be set to the new
              colorscheme name if the latter was not found.

              Another possibility (in 6.3 and later) would be to catch the error E185
              produced when the colorscheme isn't found.

              See
              :help :colorscheme
              :help :try

              HTH,
              Tony.
            • Dave Silvia
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
                Try adding the following (minus the echomsg at the end) to your vimrc:

                command! -nargs=* Mycolorscheme :call Mycolorscheme(<f-args>)
                function! Mycolorscheme(...)
                if !exists("g:colors_name")
                let defaultColorScheme='blue'
                else
                let defaultColorScheme=''
                endif
                let argIdx=1
                while argIdx <= a:0
                execute 'silent! colorscheme '.a:{argIdx}
                if exists("g:colors_name") && g:colors_name == a:{argIdx}
                let defaultColorScheme=''
                break
                endif
                let argIdx=argIdx+1
                endwhile
                if defaultColorScheme != ''
                execute 'colorscheme '.defaultColorScheme
                endif
                endfunction
                Mycolorscheme gold dave

                echomsg 'Color Scheme is "'.g:colors_name.'"'

                Color Scheme is "dave"

                If the color scheme was already set and none of your argument schemes were
                found, the scheme remains the same. Else if you've defined
                defaultColorScheme in the function as '' regardless, the scheme remains the
                same.

                You can then also use the command 'Mycolorscheme' on the fly in Vim.

                HTH,
                Dave S.
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Does anyone know which vim color scheme is supposed to
                  > be least stressful on the eyes?
                  >
                  > To some extent, this is a matter of taste, but I
                  > remember reading once about a study which claimed that
                  > green or amber text on a black background was supposed
                  > to be easiest for humans to look at for long periods.
                  > Does anyone know if this is true? If so, which vim
                  > color scheme would be best?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jonah

                  Jonah--
                  After reading this thread, I remembered to update my "Vim Colors
                  Sampler Pack" on vim.sf.net --- it is all the themes zipped up into
                  a single package -- with a menu to select them by style. Check it out
                  if you are interested at:

                  --Robert
                  #vim on irc.freenode.net --- http://Vi-IMproved.org
                • Eugeni Doljenko
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                    > I generally prefer a gray background. A white background is often too
                    > bright, a black background gives too much contrast. When working with a
                    > colored background for a while, white paper starts to look colored.
                    Heh. That's nice, because i prefer black on grey (or "silver") in windows
                    color scheme, vim, gnome, kde, etc... I just can't work with white
                    background.
                    Ofcourse when you turn to nigh programmer you have to choose some kind of
                    darker or even black background.
                  • panshizhu@routon.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                      I think Bram mean Silver on DarkGrey. instead of Black on Grey.

                      See the ratings, the "desert" rates best, It is Silver (or to say
                      LightGrey) on DarkGrey...

                      --
                      Sincerely, Pan Shizhu, ext: 2221

                      "Eugeni Doljenko" <dolzenko@...> wrote on 2004-09-02 15:14:57:

                      > > I generally prefer a gray background. A white background is often too
                      > > bright, a black background gives too much contrast. When working with
                      > > colored background for a while, white paper starts to look colored.
                      > Heh. That's nice, because i prefer black on grey (or "silver") in
                      windows
                      > color scheme, vim, gnome, kde, etc... I just can't work with white
                      > background.
                      > Ofcourse when you turn to nigh programmer you have to choose some kind
                      of
                      > darker or even black background.

                    • GD
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                        David Fishburn wrote:

                        >This seems interesting it just poked its head up on slashdot.org.
                        >
                        >http://www.utexas.edu/supportut/news_pub/yg_kwallek-color.html
                        >

                        >Enjoy if interested.
                        >
                        >Dave

                        Hmm. Not a /. link, but there is indeed a related one today (maybe you
                        were prognosticating?)

                        http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/02/0213247&tid=134&tid=1
                        <http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/02/0213247&tid=134&tid=1>

                        Getting a bit off-topic, but as a follow-up to the OP's questions about
                        learning more about the subject, I'm afraid I don't have a collection of
                        specific links. Put another way, the discussion involves everything
                        from workplace ergonomics, opthamology, colour theory, typography,
                        psychology and then some.

                        So where to start?

                        1. I remember reading a year or two ago an excellent article published
                        by some Scottsman working for Microsoft at the time that touched on a
                        wide array of related subjects. Perhaps you can find a link somewhere in
                        the ClearType resources section on Microsoft's website?

                        2. Your local opthamologist should be able to recommend some good
                        reading. I learned from my own, for example, that when using a computer
                        monitor, eye movement decreases, which leads to a drying effect (a real
                        problem for contact lens wearers); next time you're in a video rental
                        shop, observe the invariably dull stare on the person's face standing
                        behind the counter when he or she looks for information on his/her
                        monitor, and tell yourself that's most likely how you look. I was also
                        was made aware that the focal distance for reading a book is *not* the
                        same as that for a monitor, something that's obvious only after you're
                        told. If you need corrective lenses, you're looking at a minimum of 2
                        prescriptions, 3 if you're approaching 40. Here's a link that provides
                        some very general information on that aspect:

                        http://idoc.davisvision.com/davis/public/VisionCareResources/vision_01.htm

                        3. Google is your friend. You should be able to find lots of papers
                        like this one:

                        http://personalcomputing.portrait.com/us/products/lv_humanFactors_whitepaper.pdf.

                        Be sure to search for something like "color theory." You should find
                        lots of useful reading and be able to learn something even if you don't
                        consider yourself "artistically inclined."

                        4. The more practical approach is to vary your own environmental
                        conditions while alternating between the various schemes in the
                        all-colour schemes package from vim.org. You should come up with a
                        subset that *sortofkinda* works and proceed from there. Mind you, if
                        you're not using a LCD monitor, be sure your monitor's refresh rate is
                        NOT less than 85Hz, the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. of your
                        monitor is corrected for and adjusted (Adobe probably offers a free
                        utility to download to accomplish this), and you have a minimum of 2
                        lamps (3 is better) nearby providing good background illumination
                        (something any Hollywood set designer would tell you). If you spend
                        most of your time in an office environment, I doubt your office manager
                        raise an objection to your using a desk lamp to mitigate the ill effects
                        of fluorescent lighting.

                        And since you're using Windows, be sure to download the Cygwin package
                        and get into the habit of using rxvt instead of Windows cmd.exe. You
                        can set your own fonts, define your own colors and even have custom
                        classes to implement a different colour scheme for different
                        console-based applications like vi, mutt, etc. Rxvt, unlike Gvim, also
                        supports background images (scaled or tiled), and transparency. If your
                        desktop wallpaper is sufficiently subtle (by that I mean it contains
                        soft gradients, not a picture of your dog or a goofy tiled bitmap), try
                        the transparency and see how that works.

                        Again, best of luck.
                      • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                          Eugeni Doljenko wrote:

                          >> I generally prefer a gray background. A white background is often too
                          >> bright, a black background gives too much contrast. When working with a
                          >> colored background for a while, white paper starts to look colored.
                          >
                          > Heh. That's nice, because i prefer black on grey (or "silver") in
                          > windows color scheme, vim, gnome, kde, etc... I just can't work with
                          > white background.
                          > Ofcourse when you turn to nigh programmer you have to choose some kind
                          > of darker or even black background.

                          I like a dark blue background, plus I like my vim to have the same
                          highlighting as my gvim sessions.

                          Most of the colorschemes are gui-only, or if they support console, are
                          radically different. I use astronaut.vim,
                          myself -- of course, I authored it. High contrast, dark background,
                          same display on vim and gvim (well, I did
                          italicize a few things under gvim that I don't under vim). Astronaut
                          has modifiers available; I typically use

                          let astronaut_bold = 1
                          let astronaut_underline = 1
                          color astronaut

                          which turns bold on and underlining off. On some terminals/machines,
                          leaving bold on turns all the text
                          yellow (SGIs in particular). On other machines, leaving bold off yields
                          excessively dim text. Not all
                          terminals support underlining; when you try to get underlining on a
                          machine/terminal that doesn't
                          support it, often you get reverse video.

                          Regards,
                          Chip Campbell
                        • Keith Roberts
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004

                            Excellent article!

                            >Getting a bit off-topic, but as a follow-up [...]
                            >
                            >2. Your local opthamologist should be able to recommend some
                            >good reading. I learned from my own, for example, that when
                            >using a computer monitor, eye movement decreases, which leads
                            >to a drying effect (a real problem for contact lens wearers);
                            >next time you're in a video rental shop, observe the
                            >invariably dull stare on the person's face standing behind the
                            >counter when he or she looks for information on his/her
                            >monitor, and tell yourself that's most likely how you look. I
                            >was also was made aware that the focal distance for reading a
                            >book is *not* the same as that for a monitor, something that's
                            >obvious only after you're told. If you need corrective
                            >lenses, you're looking at a minimum of 2 prescriptions, 3 if
                            >you're approaching 40. Here's a link that provides some very
                            >general information on that aspect:
                            >
                            >http://idoc.davisvision.com/davis/public/VisionCareResources/vi
                            >sion_01.htm

                            This is excellent info. And also explains why I am most comfortable
                            leaning way back in my swivel/tilt office chair to peruse anything of
                            length on the screen. My eyes are 4-5 ft away from the screen then,
                            instead of the usual 18-20 inches when typing. Bifocals are your friend
                            after 40 ... :)

                            >4. The more practical approach is to vary your own
                            >environmental conditions while alternating between the various
                            >schemes in the all-colour schemes package from vim.org. You
                            >should come up with a subset that *sortofkinda* works and
                            >proceed from there. Mind you, if you're not using a LCD
                            >monitor, be sure your monitor's refresh rate is NOT less than
                            >85Hz, the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. of your monitor is
                            >corrected for and adjusted (Adobe probably offers a free
                            >utility to download to accomplish this), and you have a
                            >minimum of 2 lamps (3 is better) nearby providing good
                            >background illumination (something any Hollywood set designer
                            >would tell you). If you spend most of your time in an office
                            >environment, I doubt your office manager raise an objection to
                            >your using a desk lamp to mitigate the ill effects of
                            >fluorescent lighting.

                            I've removed 2 of the 3 fluorescent tubes from the fixture directly
                            above me, but for the first time in many years I'm working in a bullpen
                            (cubicle farm, actually) and just have to put up with too damn much
                            ambient light. I actually wear prescription sunglasses to work at my
                            terminal! They do help!
                          • Alan G Isaac
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                              On Thu, 02 Sep 2004, Jr. Charles E. Campbell apparently wrote:
                              > I use astronaut.vim,

                              Your preview link is dead:
                              http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/colorscheme.html

                              fwiw,
                              Alan Isaac
                            • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                                At 08:37 a.m. 02/09/2004, GD wrote:

                                >And since you're using Windows, be sure to download the Cygwin package and
                                >get into the habit of using rxvt instead of Windows cmd.exe. You can set
                                >your own fonts, define your own colors and even have custom classes to
                                >implement a different colour scheme for different console-based
                                >applications like vi, mutt, etc. Rxvt, unlike Gvim, also supports
                                >background images (scaled or tiled), and transparency. If your desktop
                                >wallpaper is sufficiently subtle (by that I mean it contains soft
                                >gradients, not a picture of your dog or a goofy tiled bitmap), try the
                                >transparency and see how that works.

                                You don't need rxvt to have a different color selection. If you are using
                                the Win32 console (that is, the Windows NT console), you do have access to
                                RGB colors (256^3), but you can use only 16 at a time. You can fiddle with
                                the settings by accessing the properties window of a running Cygwin console
                                and fiddle with then until you are satisfied, then save for all sesssions
                                invoked from that shortcut. Or, you can hack the terminfo entry, whatever
                                you find more appealing :-)

                                If you want to change the color settings globally for all the consoles you
                                may open in your system, select the properties windows of a *non running*
                                console shortcut and hack the colors there.