Re[2]: Easy On The Eyes

  • Alan G Isaac
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
      On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Robert Melton apparently wrote:
      > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=985

      Very nice.
      But try
      :h colorscheme
      and then set your colorscheme.
      I think the black stretch initiated by the '>'
      is surprising.

      Cheers,
      Alan Isaac
    • Scott C
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
        my personal favorite, of course, is toothpik :)

        --- Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:

        > > Does anyone know which vim color scheme is
        > supposed to
        > > be least stressful on the eyes?
        > >
        > > To some extent, this is a matter of taste, but I
        > > remember reading once about a study which claimed
        > that
        > > green or amber text on a black background was
        > supposed
        > > to be easiest for humans to look at for long
        > periods.
        > > Does anyone know if this is true? If so, which
        > vim
        > > color scheme would be best?
        >
        > I've heard the same study on colors, and tend to
        > find that for
        > myself as well. I'd say that, given how easy vim
        > makes it for
        > you to create your own colorscheme, just fiddle with
        > it until
        > it's what you like. I've made my own that suits my
        > own
        > needs/wants. It's somewhat close to the "pablo"
        > colorscheme that
        > came with my build. I don't know if there's some
        > master
        > repository of colorschemes somewhere...perhaps just
        > bundled in
        > with the vimscripts repository or the like. I keep
        > a copy of it
        > on my website at
        >
        > http://tim.thechases.com/timchase.vim
        >
        > If you want to give it a go, or use it as a starting
        > ground to
        > tweak and make your own. Consider it released into
        > the public
        > domain for all it matters :)
        >
        > -tim

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Alan G Isaac
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
          For increased portability of the run commands files,
          (_vimrc and _gvimrc in my case)
          it would be nice if the argument for
          colorscheme was a list of color names.
          (So that first found wd be used.)

          Or is there any easy way to test for
          the availability of a colorscheme?

          fwiw,
          Alan Isaac
        • jonah
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
            > Dark backgrounds work best in a dimly lit
            > environment. Lighter or white
            > backgrounds are best in an a brightly-lit
            > environment or where there is
            > a lot of natural light, even under the
            > 60Hz green-hued flickering of
            > fluorescent lighting. So if you're the
            > type to write code typically at
            > 2:00 a.m., and the only source of ambient
            > light is a small lamp in the
            > corner and the glow from some burning
            > incense, you'll be happier with
            > darker schemes. Just don't expect to open
            > a browser window without
            > being annoyed by the glare.

            GD,

            Thanks for the discussion. Do you have a reference
            for the info above? I'd like to learn more about
            this.

          • David Fishburn
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
              This seems interesting it just poked its head up on slashdot.org.

              http://www.utexas.edu/supportut/news_pub/yg_kwallek-color.html

              Enjoy if interested.

              Dave
            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
                Alan G Isaac <aisaac@...> wrote:
                > For increased portability of the run commands files,
                > (_vimrc and _gvimrc in my case)
                > it would be nice if the argument for
                > colorscheme was a list of color names.
                > (So that first found wd be used.)
                >
                > Or is there any easy way to test for
                > the availability of a colorscheme?
                >
                > fwiw,
                > Alan Isaac

                Try checing the value of g:colors_name. It won't be set to the new
                colorscheme name if the latter was not found.

                Another possibility (in 6.3 and later) would be to catch the error E185
                produced when the colorscheme isn't found.

                See
                :help :colorscheme
                :help :try

                HTH,
                Tony.
              • Dave Silvia
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Try adding the following (minus the echomsg at the end) to your vimrc:

                  command! -nargs=* Mycolorscheme :call Mycolorscheme(<f-args>)
                  function! Mycolorscheme(...)
                  if !exists("g:colors_name")
                  let defaultColorScheme='blue'
                  else
                  let defaultColorScheme=''
                  endif
                  let argIdx=1
                  while argIdx <= a:0
                  execute 'silent! colorscheme '.a:{argIdx}
                  if exists("g:colors_name") && g:colors_name == a:{argIdx}
                  let defaultColorScheme=''
                  break
                  endif
                  let argIdx=argIdx+1
                  endwhile
                  if defaultColorScheme != ''
                  execute 'colorscheme '.defaultColorScheme
                  endif
                  endfunction
                  Mycolorscheme gold dave

                  echomsg 'Color Scheme is "'.g:colors_name.'"'

                  Color Scheme is "dave"

                  If the color scheme was already set and none of your argument schemes were
                  found, the scheme remains the same. Else if you've defined
                  defaultColorScheme in the function as '' regardless, the scheme remains the
                  same.

                  You can then also use the command 'Mycolorscheme' on the fly in Vim.

                  HTH,
                  Dave S.
                  > For increased portability of the run commands files,
                  > (_vimrc and _gvimrc in my case)
                  > it would be nice if the argument for
                  > colorscheme was a list of color names.
                  > (So that first found wd be used.)
                  >
                  > Or is there any easy way to test for
                  > the availability of a colorscheme?
                  >
                  > fwiw,
                  > Alan Isaac.
                • Robert Melton
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Does anyone know which vim color scheme is supposed to
                    > be least stressful on the eyes?
                    >
                    > To some extent, this is a matter of taste, but I
                    > remember reading once about a study which claimed that
                    > green or amber text on a black background was supposed
                    > to be easiest for humans to look at for long periods.
                    > Does anyone know if this is true? If so, which vim
                    > color scheme would be best?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Jonah

                    Jonah--
                    After reading this thread, I remembered to update my "Vim Colors
                    Sampler Pack" on vim.sf.net --- it is all the themes zipped up into
                    a single package -- with a menu to select them by style. Check it out
                    if you are interested at:

                    --Robert
                    #vim on irc.freenode.net --- http://Vi-IMproved.org
                  • Eugeni Doljenko
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                      > I generally prefer a gray background. A white background is often too
                      > bright, a black background gives too much contrast. When working with a
                      > colored background for a while, white paper starts to look colored.
                      Heh. That's nice, because i prefer black on grey (or "silver") in windows
                      color scheme, vim, gnome, kde, etc... I just can't work with white
                      background.
                      Ofcourse when you turn to nigh programmer you have to choose some kind of
                      darker or even black background.
                    • panshizhu@routon.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                        I think Bram mean Silver on DarkGrey. instead of Black on Grey.

                        See the ratings, the "desert" rates best, It is Silver (or to say
                        LightGrey) on DarkGrey...

                        --
                        Sincerely, Pan Shizhu, ext: 2221

                        "Eugeni Doljenko" <dolzenko@...> wrote on 2004-09-02 15:14:57:

                        > > I generally prefer a gray background. A white background is often too
                        > > bright, a black background gives too much contrast. When working with
                        > > colored background for a while, white paper starts to look colored.
                        > Heh. That's nice, because i prefer black on grey (or "silver") in
                        windows
                        > color scheme, vim, gnome, kde, etc... I just can't work with white
                        > background.
                        > Ofcourse when you turn to nigh programmer you have to choose some kind
                        of
                        > darker or even black background.

                      • GD
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                          David Fishburn wrote:

                          >This seems interesting it just poked its head up on slashdot.org.
                          >
                          >http://www.utexas.edu/supportut/news_pub/yg_kwallek-color.html
                          >

                          >Enjoy if interested.
                          >
                          >Dave

                          Hmm. Not a /. link, but there is indeed a related one today (maybe you
                          were prognosticating?)

                          http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/02/0213247&tid=134&tid=1
                          <http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/02/0213247&tid=134&tid=1>

                          Getting a bit off-topic, but as a follow-up to the OP's questions about
                          learning more about the subject, I'm afraid I don't have a collection of
                          specific links. Put another way, the discussion involves everything
                          from workplace ergonomics, opthamology, colour theory, typography,
                          psychology and then some.

                          So where to start?

                          1. I remember reading a year or two ago an excellent article published
                          by some Scottsman working for Microsoft at the time that touched on a
                          wide array of related subjects. Perhaps you can find a link somewhere in
                          the ClearType resources section on Microsoft's website?

                          2. Your local opthamologist should be able to recommend some good
                          reading. I learned from my own, for example, that when using a computer
                          monitor, eye movement decreases, which leads to a drying effect (a real
                          problem for contact lens wearers); next time you're in a video rental
                          shop, observe the invariably dull stare on the person's face standing
                          behind the counter when he or she looks for information on his/her
                          monitor, and tell yourself that's most likely how you look. I was also
                          was made aware that the focal distance for reading a book is *not* the
                          same as that for a monitor, something that's obvious only after you're
                          told. If you need corrective lenses, you're looking at a minimum of 2
                          prescriptions, 3 if you're approaching 40. Here's a link that provides
                          some very general information on that aspect:

                          http://idoc.davisvision.com/davis/public/VisionCareResources/vision_01.htm

                          3. Google is your friend. You should be able to find lots of papers
                          like this one:

                          http://personalcomputing.portrait.com/us/products/lv_humanFactors_whitepaper.pdf.

                          Be sure to search for something like "color theory." You should find
                          lots of useful reading and be able to learn something even if you don't
                          consider yourself "artistically inclined."

                          4. The more practical approach is to vary your own environmental
                          conditions while alternating between the various schemes in the
                          all-colour schemes package from vim.org. You should come up with a
                          subset that *sortofkinda* works and proceed from there. Mind you, if
                          you're not using a LCD monitor, be sure your monitor's refresh rate is
                          NOT less than 85Hz, the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. of your
                          monitor is corrected for and adjusted (Adobe probably offers a free
                          utility to download to accomplish this), and you have a minimum of 2
                          lamps (3 is better) nearby providing good background illumination
                          (something any Hollywood set designer would tell you). If you spend
                          most of your time in an office environment, I doubt your office manager
                          raise an objection to your using a desk lamp to mitigate the ill effects
                          of fluorescent lighting.

                          And since you're using Windows, be sure to download the Cygwin package
                          and get into the habit of using rxvt instead of Windows cmd.exe. You
                          can set your own fonts, define your own colors and even have custom
                          classes to implement a different colour scheme for different
                          console-based applications like vi, mutt, etc. Rxvt, unlike Gvim, also
                          supports background images (scaled or tiled), and transparency. If your
                          desktop wallpaper is sufficiently subtle (by that I mean it contains
                          soft gradients, not a picture of your dog or a goofy tiled bitmap), try
                          the transparency and see how that works.

                          Again, best of luck.
                        • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                            Eugeni Doljenko wrote:

                            >> I generally prefer a gray background. A white background is often too
                            >> bright, a black background gives too much contrast. When working with a
                            >> colored background for a while, white paper starts to look colored.
                            >
                            > Heh. That's nice, because i prefer black on grey (or "silver") in
                            > windows color scheme, vim, gnome, kde, etc... I just can't work with
                            > white background.
                            > Ofcourse when you turn to nigh programmer you have to choose some kind
                            > of darker or even black background.

                            I like a dark blue background, plus I like my vim to have the same
                            highlighting as my gvim sessions.

                            Most of the colorschemes are gui-only, or if they support console, are
                            radically different. I use astronaut.vim,
                            myself -- of course, I authored it. High contrast, dark background,
                            same display on vim and gvim (well, I did
                            italicize a few things under gvim that I don't under vim). Astronaut
                            has modifiers available; I typically use

                            let astronaut_bold = 1
                            let astronaut_underline = 1
                            color astronaut

                            which turns bold on and underlining off. On some terminals/machines,
                            leaving bold on turns all the text
                            yellow (SGIs in particular). On other machines, leaving bold off yields
                            excessively dim text. Not all
                            terminals support underlining; when you try to get underlining on a
                            machine/terminal that doesn't
                            support it, often you get reverse video.

                            Regards,
                            Chip Campbell
                          • Keith Roberts
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004

                              Excellent article!

                              >Getting a bit off-topic, but as a follow-up [...]
                              >
                              >2. Your local opthamologist should be able to recommend some
                              >good reading. I learned from my own, for example, that when
                              >using a computer monitor, eye movement decreases, which leads
                              >to a drying effect (a real problem for contact lens wearers);
                              >next time you're in a video rental shop, observe the
                              >invariably dull stare on the person's face standing behind the
                              >counter when he or she looks for information on his/her
                              >monitor, and tell yourself that's most likely how you look. I
                              >was also was made aware that the focal distance for reading a
                              >book is *not* the same as that for a monitor, something that's
                              >obvious only after you're told. If you need corrective
                              >lenses, you're looking at a minimum of 2 prescriptions, 3 if
                              >you're approaching 40. Here's a link that provides some very
                              >general information on that aspect:
                              >
                              >http://idoc.davisvision.com/davis/public/VisionCareResources/vi
                              >sion_01.htm

                              This is excellent info. And also explains why I am most comfortable
                              leaning way back in my swivel/tilt office chair to peruse anything of
                              length on the screen. My eyes are 4-5 ft away from the screen then,
                              instead of the usual 18-20 inches when typing. Bifocals are your friend
                              after 40 ... :)

                              >4. The more practical approach is to vary your own
                              >environmental conditions while alternating between the various
                              >schemes in the all-colour schemes package from vim.org. You
                              >should come up with a subset that *sortofkinda* works and
                              >proceed from there. Mind you, if you're not using a LCD
                              >monitor, be sure your monitor's refresh rate is NOT less than
                              >85Hz, the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. of your monitor is
                              >corrected for and adjusted (Adobe probably offers a free
                              >utility to download to accomplish this), and you have a
                              >minimum of 2 lamps (3 is better) nearby providing good
                              >background illumination (something any Hollywood set designer
                              >would tell you). If you spend most of your time in an office
                              >environment, I doubt your office manager raise an objection to
                              >your using a desk lamp to mitigate the ill effects of
                              >fluorescent lighting.

                              I've removed 2 of the 3 fluorescent tubes from the fixture directly
                              above me, but for the first time in many years I'm working in a bullpen
                              (cubicle farm, actually) and just have to put up with too damn much
                              ambient light. I actually wear prescription sunglasses to work at my
                              terminal! They do help!
                            • Alan G Isaac
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                                On Thu, 02 Sep 2004, Jr. Charles E. Campbell apparently wrote:
                                > I use astronaut.vim,

                                Your preview link is dead:
                                http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/colorscheme.html

                                fwiw,
                                Alan Isaac
                              • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  At 08:37 a.m. 02/09/2004, GD wrote:

                                  >And since you're using Windows, be sure to download the Cygwin package and
                                  >get into the habit of using rxvt instead of Windows cmd.exe. You can set
                                  >your own fonts, define your own colors and even have custom classes to
                                  >implement a different colour scheme for different console-based
                                  >applications like vi, mutt, etc. Rxvt, unlike Gvim, also supports
                                  >background images (scaled or tiled), and transparency. If your desktop
                                  >wallpaper is sufficiently subtle (by that I mean it contains soft
                                  >gradients, not a picture of your dog or a goofy tiled bitmap), try the
                                  >transparency and see how that works.

                                  You don't need rxvt to have a different color selection. If you are using
                                  the Win32 console (that is, the Windows NT console), you do have access to
                                  RGB colors (256^3), but you can use only 16 at a time. You can fiddle with
                                  the settings by accessing the properties window of a running Cygwin console
                                  and fiddle with then until you are satisfied, then save for all sesssions
                                  invoked from that shortcut. Or, you can hack the terminfo entry, whatever
                                  you find more appealing :-)

                                  If you want to change the color settings globally for all the consoles you
                                  may open in your system, select the properties windows of a *non running*
                                  console shortcut and hack the colors there.