Vimspell not working anylonger with aspell 0.60... (fwd)

  • Mathieu CLABAUT
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 1:14 AM
      Hello,

      For those who found themselves unable to use vimspell with the last
      aspell version (namely 0.60), here is a temporary solution which will
      let you work with vimspell until I manage to find some time to write a
      descent patch...
      (The aspell team seems to have change the aspell interface and they
      dropped the ispell compatibility...)

      Note that ispell won't work anymore with those modifications.

      -mat

      On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Yann Golanski wrote:

      > Quoth Mathieu CLABAUT on Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 17:34:17 +0200
      >>> However, "echo word | aspell list -denglish ; echo $" produces:
      >>> $ echo word | aspell list -denglish ; echo $?
      >>> 0
      >>
      >> That's it.
      >> In my version (0.50.5 alpha), the both commands work.
      >> I prefer '-l' over 'list', since it is ispell compatible.
      >>
      >> Could you tell me what does the -l option in your aspell version ?
      >
      > The man page states that:
      > -l,list
      > produce a list of misspelled words from standard input
      > However, from "aspell --help" I get the following:
      > [...]
      > -l,--lang=<str> language code
      > [...]
      > So, for example:
      > ; echo itemize | aspell -l en_gb list
      > itemize
      > ; echo itemise | aspell -l en_gb list
      > [no output]
      >
      > ...You gotta hate bugs. It maybe a change to aspell 0.60 which was
      > realised a few days ago.
      >
      > Right, what do I change to make it work?

      I'm very busy, and will not be able to produce a patch soon.
      Assuming that you only use aspell, I suggest you to change all the
      lines containing "-l -d" by changing it to "list -d"...

      For example, line 449 was :
      let l:dirs = s:SpellSystem("echo word |". b:spell_executable ." -l -d".
      a:language )
      It becomes :
      let l:dirs = s:SpellSystem("echo word |". b:spell_executable ." list -d".
      a:language )

      Hope it will work !

      -mat

      --
      ________________http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.fr.html
      Mathieu CLABAUT mailto:mathieu.clabaut@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1 6:17 AM
        * Mathieu CLABAUT <mathieu.clabaut@...>:

        > (The aspell team seems to have change the aspell interface and they
        > dropped the ispell compatibility...)

        Are there obvious reasons to prefer one of the spelling systems aspell
        or ispell? Or is this just a matter of personal taste?

        Kai
      • Mathieu CLABAUT
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1 7:00 AM
          On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Kai Weber wrote:

          > * Mathieu CLABAUT <mathieu.clabaut@...>:
          >
          >> (The aspell team seems to have change the aspell interface and they
          >> dropped the ispell compatibility...)
          >
          > Are there obvious reasons to prefer one of the spelling systems aspell
          > or ispell? Or is this just a matter of personal taste?

          It seems that aspell is much better than ispell at giving
          suggestions.... On the other and, aspell is much more slower than
          ispell.

          I've got a not so fast computer here, and tend to use ispell most of
          the time... Your mileage may vary.

          -mat