Re: ftdetect/ and custom filetypes

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31 7:47 PM
      On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 22:17, Suresh Govindachar wrote:

      [...]
      > Steve, I am not sure but I suspect you are confusing filetype
      > detection and doing something based on the buffer being of a certain
      > filetype.

      I have long confused events associated with syntax highlighting and
      filetype detection, although I may be finally understanding them. :)

      > Using your notation of:
      >
      > the file [special]/ftdetect/[&ft].vim usually contains only a line
      > or two such as:
      > au BufRead,BufNewFile *.mine set filetype=mine
      >
      > The files ftplugin/[&ft].vim -- of which the three main ones would
      > be
      > the one in $vimruntime/
      > the one in vimfiles/ and
      > the one in vimfiles/after/
      > contain code that do something based on the buffer being of the
      > filetype [&ft]

      Correct, except that my ftplugins are located elsewhere, and at the
      *front* of &rtp, while I would prefer them to load after...

      > > Fair enough, I can easily react to FileType events and load them.

      ...which is why this will probably work best for me.

      > --Suresh

      Thanks for distilling this, I hope I've got it now. ;)

      --
      Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]