ANN: Vim and gvim 6.3.019 for W32

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
      ANN: Vim and gvim 6.3.019 for W32

      For details, browse to my web site and follow "The Vim Editor". The list of
      patches (one line per patch), the ":version" listings, and a .zip archive
      can be got from links under the heading: My "changes" distro.

      Comments welcome.

      Happy Vimming!
      Tony
      mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
        Suresh Govindachar <sgovindachar@...> wrote:
        > Antoine J. Mechelynck sent on 31 Aug 2004 00:44:27 +0200:
        >
        > > ANN: Vim and gvim 6.3.019 for W32
        > [...]
        > > Comments welcome.
        >
        > Since you asked:
        >
        > I noticed that the perl used is 5.6, (and perhaps it is one
        > that is inside cygwin). Please consider installing
        > ActivePerl 5.8.x.xyz from:
        > http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl
        > and building vim and gvim with that. (Note: if, on the
        > active state web-site, you come across a contact-info page,
        > it is OK to leave it blank.)
        >
        > Also, please consider providing debug builds of vim and
        > gvim (if indeed debug builds can be run after relocation).
        >
        > --Suresh

        It is not cygwin-dependent. Concerning vim, I use cygwin only for patch and
        bunzip2. (I didn't find any other patcher which doesn't choke on the
        official Vim patches; and WinZip doesn't understand the .bz2 format.)

        I take note of your remarks. I am not changing my procedure this minute, but
        I won't forget what you said.

        About debug builds: Shouldn't I expect that people needing them will have
        the (material and mental) means & capabilities to compile them?

        A question to which I'm not sure I have the right answer is: Is it right to
        publish an i686 build of gvim without an i386 build? (At the moment, I am
        publishing gvim for i686 and console vim for i386.)

      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
          > It is not cygwin-dependent. Concerning vim, I use cygwin only
          > for patch and bunzip2. (I didn't find any other patcher which
          > doesn't choke on the official Vim patches; and WinZip doesn't
          > understand the .bz2 format.)

          I do have cygwin installed, but I use bunzip2
          (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ )without difficulty on WinXP.

          This link:
          Vince Negri's unofficial <conceal / cursorbind / ownsyntax feature>,

          Does not work for me. I get:
          Unavailable Angelfire Directory
          Angelfire does not allow the automatic listing of directory or subdirectory
          contents.

          Dave
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
            David Fishburn <fishburn@...> wrote:
            > > It is not cygwin-dependent. Concerning vim, I use cygwin only
            > > for patch and bunzip2. (I didn't find any other patcher which
            > > doesn't choke on the official Vim patches; and WinZip doesn't
            > > understand the .bz2 format.)
            >
            > I do have cygwin installed, but I use bunzip2
            > (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ )without difficulty on WinXP.

            I use bunzip2 from cygwin bash without problem; for .zip or even .tar.gz I
            use WinZip, which doesn't, however, know about .bz2.

            > This link:
            > Vince Negri's unofficial <conceal / cursorbind / ownsyntax feature>,
            >
            > Does not work for me. I get:
            > Unavailable Angelfire Directory
            > Angelfire does not allow the automatic listing of directory or
            > subdirectory contents.
            >
            > Dave

            From what I hear, Vince has been ousted from Angelfire. If and when I hear
            about him getting a new hosting space, I'll change that link. In the
            meantime, I suppose the link will have to remain broken.

          • Antoine J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
              Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              > David Fishburn <fishburn@...> wrote:
              [...]
              > > This link:
              > > Vince Negri's unofficial <conceal / cursorbind / ownsyntax feature>,
              > >
              > > Does not work for me. I get:
              > > Unavailable Angelfire Directory
              > > Angelfire does not allow the automatic listing of directory or
              > > subdirectory contents.
              > >
              > > Dave
              >
              > > From what I hear, Vince has been ousted from Angelfire. If and when
              > > I hear
              > about him getting a new hosting space, I'll change that link. In the
              > meantime, I suppose the link will have to remain broken.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Tony.

              P.S. As a purely temporary stopgap measure, I am making the 6.3 version of
              Vince's patch available from a link on my "Compiling HowTo". That's a
              separate page, linked from the bottom of my Vim page.

            • David Fishburn
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004

                Yes that works fine. I was just trying to point out that cygwin is a big
                environment, for those users who simply need access to some of the Unix
                tools without operating in a Unxi environment, then the URL provided has all
                the standard GNU tools that run natively under Win32.

                Dave
              • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
                  David Fishburn <fishburn@...> wrote:
                  [...]
                  > Yes that works fine. I was just trying to point out that cygwin is a
                  > big environment, for those users who simply need access to some of
                  > the Unix tools without operating in a Unxi environment, then the URL
                  > provided has all the standard GNU tools that run natively under Win32.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  Yes, most Unix utilities are available for Win32 from sources like unxutils,
                  GnuWin32, etc. However, I need cygwin anyway because the "patch" programs
                  from all these other sources choke on the official Vim patches -- so I can't
                  compile an up-to-date Vim for Windows without cygwin. I suspect there's
                  something with diff too but I'm less certain.