Re: annoying blacklist block

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2004
      On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:57:16PM -0500, Dave Silvia wrote:
      > Tony,
      >
      > As usual, thank you much for your input! Most helpful. The only mailing
      > list I've joined in years has been vim@... and I suspect spammers
      > exploit it as my spam level has risen dramatically since I joined (not just
      > our friend 'Daum'). This is why I'm contemplating upgrading my Norton
      > stuff. It's a shame that such a useful and largely non-partisan system such
      > as the internet needs this. I don't understand why people (presumably
      > intelligent, else how could they come up with such things) waste their time
      > on being a nuisance to being downright destructive (viruses, worms, spyware,
      > etc.). But then, I don't really understand anthrax powder in the mail
      > either.
      >
      > thx,
      > Dave S.

      One possible explanation: follow the money. If you upgrade your
      anti-spam and anti-virus software, who gets paid?

      Another suggestion I have heard: massive temper tantrum from
      out-of-work programmers who regarded the "tech boom" of the 1990's as an
      entitlement rather than a bubble.

      HTH --Benji Fisher