show total bytes in file

  • Rainer Bendig
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      is it possible to show the total bytes in the file while i am editing
      it left or right from "line,char" ?
      --
      so long,
      Rainer Bendig aka mindz PGP/GPG key (ID: 0xCC7EA575)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
        Rainer Bendig <lists@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > is it possible to show the total bytes in the file while i am editing
        > it left or right from "line,char" ?
        > --
        > so long,
        > Rainer Bendig aka mindz PGP/GPG key (ID: 0xCC7EA575)
        > http://DigitallyImpressed.com Get it from wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
        > for contacting me take a look on http://digitallyimpressed.com/contact
        > Don't reply to this e-mail address and please don't cc to me on lists.
        > If we meet on a list, you can be sure that i am already on the list.

        Yes, it is. You'll need to write your own 'statusline' option, with
        everything you want to appear. The filesise is

        line2byte(line("$") + 1)

        see
        :help 'statusline'
        :help line2byte()

        HTH,
        Tony.
      • Dave Silvia
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
          How about:

          command! Where
          \ let lhere=line(".") |
          \ let chere=col(".") |
          \ call cursor(1,1) |
          \ call cursor(line("$"),col("$")) |
          \ call cursor(lhere,chere) |
          \ let clast=line2byte(line("$")+1)-1 |
          \ let lbytes=line2byte(lhere-1)+chere |
          \ let rbytes=clast-lbytes-1 |
          \ echo " ".lbytes.",".rbytes.",".clast

          noremap <F12> :Where<CR>

          Output is 'bytes-to-the-left,bytes-to-the-right,total-bytes' when the f12
          key is pressed, e.g., for the example code (unix fileformat), with the
          cursor on the 'c' in 'command' the output would be

          0,321,322

          for the 't' in 'clast'

          266,55,322

          for the '>' in '<CR>'

          321,0,322

          Was that kinda what you had in mind?

          HTH,
          Dave S.

          P.S. There is an anomaly! If you're on the last line and it has no
          characters, the output is 'total-bytes',-1,'total-bytes'! There's a similar
          oddity when you're adding the first line for the first time. But as long as