"after" directory & SID

  • Thomas Link
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
      Hi everybody,

      I use latex-suite and I would like to add the crossref field
      to my bibtex entries. As latex-suite seemingly doesn't support
      crossrefs by default and because I didn't want to modify
      ftplugin/latex-suite/bibtex.vim itself, I created the file
      after/ftplugin/latex-suite/bibtex.vim into which I inserted
      the following line:

      let s:x_standsfor = 'crossref'

      I ran into this problem before which is why I address my
      question to this list. It appears that bibtex.vim doesn't know
      about this new variable. Is it because the SNR in the after
      directory is different from the original one? Or is the path
      wrong - no nested directories, maybe? Or is there another way
      to insert this new variable into the scripts "namespace"? I
      didn't find any information on this although I suppose I'm not
      the first one who ran into this problem.

      Cheers,
      Thomas.
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 03:16:27PM +0200, Thomas Link wrote:
        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I use latex-suite and I would like to add the crossref field
        > to my bibtex entries. As latex-suite seemingly doesn't support
        > crossrefs by default and because I didn't want to modify
        > ftplugin/latex-suite/bibtex.vim itself, I created the file
        > after/ftplugin/latex-suite/bibtex.vim into which I inserted
        > the following line:
        >
        > let s:x_standsfor = 'crossref'
        >
        > I ran into this problem before which is why I address my
        > question to this list. It appears that bibtex.vim doesn't know
        > about this new variable. Is it because the SNR in the after
        > directory is different from the original one? Or is the path
        > wrong - no nested directories, maybe? Or is there another way
        > to insert this new variable into the scripts "namespace"? I
        > didn't find any information on this although I suppose I'm not
        > the first one who ran into this problem.

        There is no way to add a script-local variable to one script from
        another. (Some may consider my "no way" as a challenge, but any method
        that gets around this would at least have to be pretty devious. I have
        an idea or two myself ...) The usual way to customize the behavior is
        through global or buffer-local variables, not script-local ones. Of
        course, that only works if the script is looking for the
        customization...

        HTH --Benji Fisher