Re: Cut and uncut text?

  • gumnos (Tim Chase)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2004
      > What exactly do ^K and ^U do? I don't have much experience with
      > pico/nano, so I am not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve.

      [snip]

      > >> Are you looking for these?
      > >> :h d
      > >> :h u
      > >
      > > No, this deletes lines and then undoes it. ;)

      I'm not sure if this was a joke...pico's ^K is the same as "dd" in
      vim--to delete the current line to a buffer of sorts, and ^U is the same
      as vim's "P" to paste the contents above the current line. However,
      this doesn't take into consideration that other delete/yank operations
      will tromp over vim's standard unnamed register, so a "dd" deleting the
      line, followed by other operations such as deleting other lines or
      changing other text will prevent a subsequent "P" from pasting the
      expected contents. The alternative is to delete to a named register,
      and then paste from that register. Ouch...I just pulled up a copy of
      pico, and it's hard to go back to that, after using vi/vim for so long
      :)

      For more information, see

      :help dd
      :help yy