Command history while debugging is gone

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2004
      Vim 6.3 1-7 WinXP

      Same vimrc file as 6.1 and 6.2.
      But now when I debug, I can no longer hit the <up> and <down> arrows to get
      my previous commands in the same Vim session.

      Is a new option required or something?

      I couldn't find anything under debugger.txt that might explain it.

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2004
        On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:05:06PM -0400, David Fishburn wrote:

        > Vim 6.3 1-7 WinXP
        >
        > Same vimrc file as 6.1 and 6.2.
        > But now when I debug, I can no longer hit the <up> and <down> arrows to get
        > my previous commands in the same Vim session.
        >
        > Is a new option required or something?
        >
        > I couldn't find anything under debugger.txt that might explain it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave

        It works for me (vim 6.3, no patches, on Linux). Can you give more
        specific instructions for reproducing the problem?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2004
          > > Vim 6.3 1-7 WinXP
          > >
          > > Same vimrc file as 6.1 and 6.2.
          > > But now when I debug, I can no longer hit the <up> and
          > <down> arrows
          > > to get my previous commands in the same Vim session.
          > >
          > > Is a new option required or something?
          > >
          > > I couldn't find anything under debugger.txt that might explain it.

          > It works for me (vim 6.3, no patches, on Linux). Can
          > you give more specific instructions for reproducing the problem?

          Yes, I have narrowed things down.
          I am trying to debug an autocommand that fires in the VimLeavePre event.

          It appears that Vim has begun clearning up and shutting down by that point.

          So I can't do things like <C-R>*,
          or
          using the menus Edit->Paste I get this as output:
          <t_uX> (except the u has an accent above it).

          Same behaviour in Vim 6.2 patches 500+.

          I am wondering if this is expected.

          Thanks,
          Dave
        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
            Bram, since my problem only appears in the VimLeavePre event, I was
            wondering if this was expected behaviour or not.

            Thanks,
            Dave

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
              David Fishburn wrote:

              > Bram, since my problem only appears in the VimLeavePre event, I was
              > wondering if this was expected behaviour or not.

              I don't see a reason why the command history would stop working in the
              VimLeavePre autocommands.

              Are you sure you are not confusing the command-line history with the
              debug mode history? Try ":hist >".

              CTRL-R * appears to work fine for me (while debugging a file sourced in
              a VimLeavePre autocommand). The Edit/Paste menu works fine too.

              Perhaps there is something interfering?

              --
              BLACK KNIGHT: Come on you pansy!
              [hah] [parry thrust]

            • Gregory Margo
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1 9:42 AM
                On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:19:03PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > debug mode history? Try ":hist >".

                Is there some reason that ":hist >" is not in the docs?
                Here's a patch against 6.3.10 that may need rewording regarding debug mode:

                *** runtime/doc/cmdline.txt.save 2004-06-07 02:05:17.000000000 -0700
                --- runtime/doc/cmdline.txt 2004-07-01 09:35:21.000000000 -0700
                ***************
                *** 45,56 ****

                *cmdline-history* *history*
                The command-lines that you enter are remembered in a history table. You can
                ! recall them with the up and down cursor keys. There are actually four
                history tables:
                - one for ':' commands
                - one for search strings
                - one for expressions
                ! - one for input lines, typed for the |input()| function.
                These are completely separate. Each history can only be accessed when
                entering the same type of line.
                Use the 'history' option to set the number of lines that are remembered
                --- 45,57 ----

                *cmdline-history* *history*
                The command-lines that you enter are remembered in a history table. You can
                ! recall them with the up and down cursor keys. There are actually five
                history tables:
                - one for ':' commands
                - one for search strings
                - one for expressions
                ! - one for input lines, typed for the |input()| function
                ! - one for debug mode.
                These are completely separate. Each history can only be accessed when
                entering the same type of line.
                Use the 'history' option to set the number of lines that are remembered
                ***************
                *** 305,310 ****
                --- 306,312 ----
                s[earch] or / search string history
                e[xpr] or = expression register history
                i[nput] or @ input line history
                + d[ebug] or > debug mode history
                a[ll] all of the above
                {not in Vi}

                Gregory H. Margo
                Home: greg at margofamily dot org, gmargo at yahoo dot com or pacbell dot net
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 11:41 AM
                  Gregory Margo wrote:

                  > On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 11:19:03PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > > debug mode history? Try ":hist >".
                  >
                  > Is there some reason that ":hist >" is not in the docs?
                  > Here's a patch against 6.3.10 that may need rewording regarding debug
                  > mode:

                  Thanks. Strange that this was missing.

                  --
                  ARTHUR: Listen, old crone! Unless you tell us where we can buy a shrubbery,
                  my friend and I will ... we will say "Ni!"