Re: vim 6.3 font problems

  • VMI IMV
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
      Hello,

      > Putting the common initialization into ~/.vimrc is sufficient.
      >[..]

      > if has('gui_running')
      > " GUI stuff
      > endif

      Thank you for your help. I tried what you said, the problem still exists :-( And I finally discovered what the problem is.
      vim tries to include the hungarian menu file which is iso8859-2 encoded,
      but after I set enc to utf8.

      So the question this time is:
      I recoded the file (latin2..utf8) but what should be set (eg LANG)
      and where to save this utf8 menu file and under what name?

      Once again, thanks.

      Best regards,
      B.

      Regisztrálj e-mail címet a VIPmail-en és most repülőjegyet
      vagy 100 MB-os "full extrás" fiókot nyerhetsz!
      Klikk ide: http://www.vipmail.hu

      Regisztrálj e-mail címet a VIPmail-en és most repülőjegyet
      vagy 100 MB-os "full extrás" fiókot nyerhetsz!
      Klikk ide: http://www.vipmail.hu
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2004
        Nameless wrote:

        > > Putting the common initialization into ~/.vimrc is sufficient.
        > >[..]
        >
        > > if has('gui_running')
        > > " GUI stuff
        > > endif
        >
        > Thank you for your help. I tried what you said, the problem still
        > exists :-(
        > And I finally discovered what the problem is.
        > vim tries to include the hungarian menu file which is iso8859-2 encoded,
        > but after I set enc to utf8.

        That should not be a problem, since the menu file includes this line:

        scriptencoding iso-8859-2

        That should cause the characters to be converted from iso-8859-2 to
        utf-8. I just tried it and it works fine for me. If it does not work
        for you it may be that in your situation the conversion is not
        supported.

        > So the question this time is:
        > I recoded the file (latin2..utf8) but what should be set (eg LANG)
        > and where to save this utf8 menu file and under what name?

        "menu_hu_hu.utf-8.vim" should work. You can use ":scriptnames" to check
        if it was actually used.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        *<|:-) Santa Claus (Ho Ho Ho)

      • VMI IMV
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2004
          Hello,

          Thanks for the quick reply.

          > That should not be a problem, since the menu file includes this line:
          >
          > scriptencoding iso-8859-2
          >
          > That should cause the characters to be converted from iso-8859-2 to
          > utf-8. I just tried it and it works fine for me. If it does not work
          > for you it may be that in your situation the conversion is not
          > supported.
          This is definitely not the case. e ++enc=utf8 utf8enc_filename works fine .

          >> So the question this time is:
          >> I recoded the file (latin2..utf8) but what should be set (eg LANG)
          >> and where to save this utf8 menu file and under what name?
          >
          > "menu_hu_hu.utf-8.vim" should work. You can use ":scriptnames" to check
          > if it was actually used.

          I worked around this problem with utf8-izing everything.
          Now the problem is solved.
          Thank you for your help.