Re: Installation help for GUI vim on linux.

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8 1:49 PM
      Some other things to try:

      1.
      # vim --version
      # gvim --version
      # /usr/X11R6/bin/gvim --version

      The version information might be interesting.

      2. Install compatible versions of the vim RPM's. I notice that three
      of your RPM's are vim 6.1 and that the third is vim 6.2. I do not know
      whether this causes problems. For recent RPM's, try searching for "RPM"
      on http://vim.sourceforge.net/download.php .

      3. Forget about RPM's. I leave the version installed by Red Hat alone
      in /usr/bin/ and do "make; sudo make install" to put a current version
      in /usr/local/bin/ , which is first in my PATH.

      HTH --Benji Fisher

      On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 12:42:48PM +0200, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > 1) I'm not the ultimate vim guru. Please send your queries not just to me
      > alone, but also to the mailing list.
      >
      > 2) From what you list below, the only thing I can imagine is blocking you is
      > a spurious alias for gvim in your shell. Try
      >
      > alias
      >
      > to see if this is the case, and, OTOH, see if the GUI starts when you type
      >
      > /usr/X11R6/bin/gvim
      >
      > (i.e., with a full path) at the shell prompt.
      >

      > Regards,
      > Tony.

      [snip]