Re: 'buftype' buffers and BufWriteCmd

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      On Sat, 29 May 2004 at 12:47pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
      >
      > > If you set 'buftype', Vim disables the :w and :wq commands. But it
      > > behaves the same even if you have BufWriteCmd autocommand defined for
      > > the buffer, so defining the autocommand makes no difference. IMHO this
      > > is incorrect. Vim should first check for a matching BufWriteCmd (and let
      > > it get triggered as usual), and generate exception only when none is
      > > found. However defining BufReadCmd seems to work fine even for
      > > 'buftype' buffers.
      >
      > When you set 'buftype' to "nowrite" or "nofile" that means the buffer
      > will not be written. It doesn't matter what autocommands you have
      > defined for the buffer.
      >
      > A BufWriteCmd handles a special kind of writing for buffers, it doesn't
      > make unwritable buffers writable.

      When you have 'BufWriteCmd' defined, it means someone is explicitly
      saying that the :w and :wq commands are to be handled differently, so
      what is the harm in allowing them even on 'buftype' buffers? These
      buffers are created almost always from the plugins for
      the advantages they offer (like constant buffer name and 'modified' flag
      being always unset among various other things). You might consider this
      as feature enhancement request, but first I thought it as a bug as
      BufReadCmd still worked. If this is not a bug, then I will have to think
      of an alternate way of achieving what I want.

      Thank you,
      Hari

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/