RE: Register usage

  • Halim, Salman
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2004
      To get help on a key used on the command-line (in command mode, in other words), prepend a c_ to the help directive; in this case:

      :help c_ctrl-y

      This says that IF there is a modeless selection (:help modeless-selection), ctrl-y will copy it to the clipboard. For your purposes, the only real way you can get a modeless selection is to enter the command-line (by hitting :) and then click and drag (with the mouse) to select some text in the text window. Now, hitting ctrl-y will copy this text. Obviously, typing "a before the ctrl-y will not have the desired effect because it will type the "a onto the command-line and then execute the ctrl-y (and copy it into the regular clipboard). There is no direct way to get this selection into the register of choice; however, I didn't even know about this selection until you asked this question, so it's possible that this isn't the sort of thing you have to worry about often.

      If you MUST copy it into a specific register, then what you can do is to clobber the command-line and execute another command to copy the clipboard into the register of choice; change the right side of the menu from <c-y> to:

      <c-y><c-u>:let @a=@*<cr>

      I have never delved into menus, so I'm not sure if this will work as is.

      For the append version, just use @A instead of @a.

      Hope this helps,