Re: calculations on result from search

  • Gumnos (Tim Chase)
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2004
      > I have several files where I need to make some substitutions. In one of
      this
      > substitutions I need to make a calculation on a result from a search.
      > For example, I have a column like this:
      >
      > 00:30
      > 01:00
      > 01:30
      > 02:00
      >
      > I want to change only the lines that end with 00; on this lines I need to
      subtract
      > 1 from the number on left side of :. So, the result should be:

      How does this work for you?

      %s/\(\d\d\):00/\=substitute('0'.(substitute(submatch(1),
      '^0*','','g')-1), '.*\(..\)', '\1', '').':00'

      It's ugly, but it accomodates the wrinkle that vim considers leading zeros
      an indicator of an octal number, which does funky stuff with the maths at
      hand. So, it strips off the leading zero, decrements, tacks a leading zero
      back onto it, and then pulls the two right-most characters. It doesn't
      monkey with "00:00" any differently (you get a negative number--which may or
      may not be the desired behavior)

      Hope this helps,

      -tim
    • Mark Woodward
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2004
        Luis Marcelo de Mattos Zeri wrote:

        >I want to change only the lines that end with 00; on this lines I need to subtract
        >1 from the number on left side of :. So, the result should be:
        >
        >00:30
        >00:00
        >01:30
        >01:00

        I'll try again!

        I'm sure there's a better way (ie writing a function to catch inevitable
        errors) but this seems to work as you'd expect ( except for those errors
        I'm talking about ;-))

        :%s@\(^\d\)\zs\(\d\)\ze:00@\=submatch(2)-1@gc

        whats it mean?
        @ is the separator ie :%s@this@that@
        \( \) are for grouping
        so

        ^ find the start of the line
        \d followed by a digit

        \zs now that you've found it, forget about it & start the actual
        search here
        :h \zs

        \d find a digit (the one you want to change)
        \ze:00 find :00 ie it must be present, but dont include it
        \= evaluate the replacement bit as an expression
        :h \=

        submatch(2)-1 better just to point to :h submatch

        Problem (if this relates to times):
        it will turn a 0 into -1 so :00 becomes :0-1 NOT :59
        which wouldn't be what you need.
        Far better to write a script.

        --
        Mark
      • Luis Marcelo de Mattos Zeri
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2004
          Thank you Roberto, Klaus, Mark and Trevor!

          All the solutions worked very well.

          Cheers,

          Marcelo