help on "E245"

  • Ronald Hoellwarth
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hello,

      I experimented today with fonts and got an E245. Looking at the helptext
      for it I found an URL:

      http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/

      But this URL is not reachable anymore. I searched with Google and
      directly on the site of bsu.edu but didn't find anything.

      Does anybody know what happend to the content that was found at this
      URL? Perhaps it has moved from the University servers to some private
      hompage? Or it simply was removed while retructuring the
      website/servers?

      Who knows...

      If we can't find a good equivalent for the URL it should be removed from
      the help.

      greetings from crailsheim, germany
      ronald höllwarth
    • Tuomo Latto
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
        On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:23:51 +0200, Ronald Hoellwarth
        <ronald@...> wrote:
        > I experimented today with fonts and got an E245. Looking at the helptext
        > for it I found an URL:
        >
        > http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/
        >
        > But this URL is not reachable anymore. I searched with Google and
        > directly on the site of bsu.edu but didn't find anything.

        Maybe this will help temporarily:
        http://web.archive.org/web/20030706130536/http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/

        > Does anybody know what happend to the content that was found at this
        > URL? Perhaps it has moved from the University servers to some private
        > hompage? Or it simply was removed while retructuring the
        > website/servers?

        Sorry, can not help.
        You should try mailing the author. (Apparently Paul Neubauer)

        --
        Tuomo
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2004
          Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I experimented today with fonts and got an E245. Looking at the
          > helptext for it I found an URL:
          >
          > http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/
          >
          > But this URL is not reachable anymore. I searched with Google and
          > directly on the site of bsu.edu but didn't find anything.

          What gvim version are you using? I can't find that URL in the helpfiles
          (such as option.txt, 2004 Apr 18) that came with my 6.2.494.

          If you have problems setting the 'guifont' option, see my tip
          http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=632 .

          [...]
          > greetings from crailsheim, germany
          > ronald höllwarth

          Greetings from Brussels, Belgium
          Tony
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine/mechelynck/
        • Ronald Hoellwarth
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2004
            On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 01:58:53AM +0200, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
            > > http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/
            >
            > What gvim version are you using? I can't find that URL in the helpfiles
            > (such as option.txt, 2004 Apr 18) that came with my 6.2.494.

            Hello Tony,

            the url is in options.txt (2004 Apr 29) at line 2817. Do :he 'gfs' and
            scroll up some lines. It must be there since Vim 5.odd because when
            I searched for it I found a link to a helpfile from vim 5.

            Tuomo Latto found the pages that were at that URL.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2004
              Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:
              > On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 01:58:53AM +0200, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
              > > > http://nova.bsuvc.bsu.edu/prn/monofont/
              > >
              > > What gvim version are you using? I can't find that URL in the
              > > helpfiles (such as option.txt, 2004 Apr 18) that came with my
              > > 6.2.494.
              >
              > Hello Tony,
              >
              > the url is in options.txt (2004 Apr 29) at line 2817. Do :he 'gfs' and
              > scroll up some lines. It must be there since Vim 5.odd because when
              > I searched for it I found a link to a helpfile from vim 5.
              >
              > Tuomo Latto found the pages that were at that URL.
              >
              > greetings from crailsheim, germany
              > ronald höllwarth

              In the whole article I have for 'guifont' (below) tere is not a single URL:

              *'guifont'* *'gfn'*
              *E235* *E596* *E610* *E611*
              'guifont' 'gfn' string (default "")
              global
              {not in Vi}
              {only available when compiled with GUI enabled}
              This is a list of fonts which will be used for the GUI version of Vim.
              In its simplest form the value is just one font name. When
              the font cannot be found you will get an error message. To try other
              font names a list can be specified, font names separated with commas.
              The first valid font is used.
              When 'guifontset' is not empty, 'guifont' is not used.
              Spaces after a comma are ignored. To include a comma in a font name
              precede it with a backslash. Setting an option requires an extra
              backslash before a space and a backslash. See also
              |option-backslash|. For example: >
              :set guifont=Screen15,\ 7x13,font\\,with\\,commas
              < will make vim try to use the font "Screen15" first, and if it fails it
              will try to use "7x13" and then "font,with,commas" instead.
              For the GTK+ 2 GUI the font name looks like this: >
              :set guifont=Andale\ Mono\ 11
              < That's all. XLFDs are no longer accepted.
              *E236*
              Note that the fonts must be mono-spaced (all characters have the same
              width).
              To preview a font on X11, you might be able to use the "xfontsel"
              program. The "xlsfonts" program gives a list of all available fonts.
              For Win32, GTK and Photon only: >
              :set guifont=*
              < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.
              If none of the fonts can be loaded, vim will keep the current setting.
              If an empty font list is given, vim will try using other resource
              settings (for X, it will use the Vim.font resource), and finally it
              will try some builtin default which should always be there ("7x13" in
              the case of X). The font names given should be "normal" fonts. Vim
              will try to find the related bold and italic fonts.
              For the Win32 GUI *E244* *E245*
              - takes these options in the font name:
              hXX - height is XX (points, can be floating-point)
              wXX - width is XX (points, can be floating-point)
              b - bold
              i - italic
              u - underline
              s - strikeout
              cXX - character set XX. valid charsets are: ANSI, ARABIC,
              BALTIC, CHINESEBIG5, DEFAULT, EASTEUROPE, GB2312, GREEK,
              HANGEUL, HEBREW, JOHAB, MAC, OEM, RUSSIAN, SHIFTJIS,
              SYMBOL, THAI, TURKISH, VIETNAMESE ANSI and BALTIC.

              Use a ':' to separate the options.
              - A '_' can be used in the place of a space, so you don't need to use
              backslashes to escape the spaces.
              - Examples: >
              :set guifont=courier_new:h12:w5:b:cRUSSIAN
              :set guifont=Andale_Mono:h7.5:w4.5
              < See also |font-sizes|.

              *'guifontset'* *'gfs'*

              Searching the whole file for "http" gives only three hits, in the articles
              for 'ambiwidth', 'path" and 'thesaurus'. Nothing even near 'guifont'. I can
              only conclude that that URL is a new addition, no more than 10 days old or
              so. (The datestamp you mentioned above was at line 1 of the file, not in the
              "dir" or "ls -l" listing, right?)

            • Ronald Hoellwarth
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 12:04:59PM +0200, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                > Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > What gvim version are you using? I can't find that URL in the
                > > > helpfiles (such as option.txt, 2004 Apr 18) that came with my
                > > > 6.2.494.
                > >
                > > Hello Tony,
                > >
                > > the url is in options.txt (2004 Apr 29) at line 2817. Do :he 'gfs' and
                > > scroll up some lines. It must be there since Vim 5.odd because when
                > > I searched for it I found a link to a helpfile from vim 5.

                [excerpt from options.txt]

                > Searching the whole file for "http" gives only three hits, in the articles
                > for 'ambiwidth', 'path" and 'thesaurus'. Nothing even near 'guifont'. I can
                > only conclude that that URL is a new addition, no more than 10 days old or
                > so. (The datestamp you mentioned above was at line 1 of the file, not in the
                > "dir" or "ls -l" listing, right?)
                >
                > Regards,
                > Tony.

                Hello Tony.

                I downloaded the unix sources
                (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-62.tar.bz2) for 6.2.000 and there it
                is. There are 4 "http" hits in it, the one in question beeing at the
                given place. Even in ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim62rt.zip there is
                the non-working link. Where did you get your options.txt from?

                The datestamp mentioned was the one from Line 1 of the file.

                I'm really puzzled, that you can't find the URL.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                  Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:
                  > On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 12:04:59PM +0200, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                  > > Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:

                  > > > Hello Tony,
                  > > >
                  > > > the url is in options.txt (2004 Apr 29) at line 2817. Do :he
                  > > > 'gfs' and scroll up some lines. It must be there since Vim 5.odd
                  > > > because when
                  > > > I searched for it I found a link to a helpfile from vim 5.
                  >
                  > [excerpt from options.txt]
                  >
                  > > Searching the whole file for "http" gives only three hits, in the
                  > > articles for 'ambiwidth', 'path" and 'thesaurus'. Nothing even near
                  > > 'guifont'. I can only conclude that that URL is a new addition, no
                  > > more than 10 days old or so. (The datestamp you mentioned above was
                  > > at line 1 of the file, not in the "dir" or "ls -l" listing, right?)
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Tony.
                  >
                  > Hello Tony.
                  >
                  > I downloaded the unix sources
                  > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-62.tar.bz2) for 6.2.000 and there
                  > it
                  > is. There are 4 "http" hits in it, the one in question beeing at the
                  > given place. Even in ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim62rt.zip there is
                  > the non-working link. Where did you get your options.txt from?
                  >
                  > The datestamp mentioned was the one from Line 1 of the file.
                  >
                  > I'm really puzzled, that you can't find the URL.
                  >
                  > greetings from crailsheim, germany
                  > ronald höllwarth

                  "Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice."

                  I got my options.txt together with the rest of the executables and runtimes
                  from the 6.2.494 distribution compiled by Steve Hall for Win32 and made
                  available through a link on the page http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html .
                  This is a "vim" distribution, i.e., without the so-called "enhancements"
                  peculiar to the Cream project. An "unofficial" but respectable source. The
                  datestamp "2004 Apr 18" is also in line 1 of options.txt. The ":version"
                  display says "compiled Apr 24 2004 01:36:18 (but doesn't mention a time
                  zone). All runtime files are supposed to be "up-to-date as of build date".

                • Steve Hall
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                    From: "Antoine J. Mechelynck", Sat, 1 May 2004 15:15:44 +0200
                    > Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:
                    > > Antoine J. Mechelynck, Sat, May 01, 2004 at 12:04:59PM +0200:

                    > > > [can't find it]
                    > >
                    > > I downloaded the unix sources
                    > > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-62.tar.bz2) for 6.2.000 and
                    > > there it is....Where did you get your options.txt from?
                    >
                    > ...the 6.2.494 distribution compiled by Steve Hall for Win32 and
                    > made available through a link on the page
                    > http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html.

                    Whose runtimes are updated from

                    ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/

                    and the file there "doc/options.txt" at this moment does not have it.

                    --
                    Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]
                  • Ronald Hoellwarth
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                      On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 10:42:05PM -0400, Steve Hall wrote:
                      > From: "Antoine J. Mechelynck", Sat, 1 May 2004 15:15:44 +0200
                      > > Ronald Hoellwarth <ronald@...> wrote:
                      > > > Antoine J. Mechelynck, Sat, May 01, 2004 at 12:04:59PM +0200:

                      > > > I downloaded the unix sources
                      > > > (ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-62.tar.bz2) for 6.2.000 and
                      > > > there it is....Where did you get your options.txt from?
                      > >
                      > > ...the 6.2.494 distribution compiled by Steve Hall for Win32 and
                      > > made available through a link on the page
                      > > http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html.
                      >
                      > Whose runtimes are updated from
                      >
                      > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/
                      >
                      > and the file there "doc/options.txt" at this moment does not have it.

                      Yes. The riddle is solved. Thanks Steve.

                      I mailed Bram about other non-working URLs. So the docs of 6.3 will have
                      less non-working URLs.