Column 80 edge/guide

  • Kevin L'Huillier
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      Some development environment editors will show a vertical bar beside
      column 80 to allow users to visibly see the column without restricting
      the width of their editor. I managed to partly create this effect by
      putting this in ~/.vimrc:

      highlight LineOverflow guibg=#202060 guifg=white
      autocmd CursorHold * match LineOverflow "\%81v.*"

      That is probably not a smart way to do things. I don't mind using it,
      but it wasn't quite what I had in mind. Is there a way to affect the
      columns past 80, not just text in those columns? The ideal result would
      be a visible edge on the screen.
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
        Halim, Salman <salman@...> wrote:
        > I'm not sure I see the need for CursorHold in there, unless you use
        > :match elsewhere in your work, too. (I don't, so have a simple
        > :match.)
        >
        > The only thing I have been able to do effectively is to do something
        > like:
        >
        > execute 'set lines=9999 columns=' . (&tw + (&nu ? 8 : 0) + 2)

        Beware: some files set &tw to 0 (meaning no fixed text width) by means of
        modelines or maybe filetype-plugins. I suggest replacing &tw above by
        something like (&tw < 60 ? 60 : &tw) to avoid making the vim window
        ridiculously narrow.

        > Sets the lines to the maximum that'll fit on-screen and the columns
        > to 'textwidth' + 8 if line-number is on + 2 for signs (I use
        > ShowMarks). Combine this with a command that changes your textwidth
        > and start using that instead of 'set tw=' and it'll always keep the
        > window size to precisely what your line length should be. . .
        >
        > Salman.

        [...]