Re: vim compiling best practices & help with vimirc

  • Mikolaj Machowski
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
      Dnia pią 2. kwietnia 2004 01:54, Eric Winger napisał:
      > Being my usual tangental self, I found the VimIRC plugin on my way to
      > making vim my email editor and immediately had to dive in. In trying to
      > make the VimIRC plugin work, I ventured into the realm of compiling my
      > own vim so I could turn on the perl interface. However, I've run into
      > several problems. Hoping someone can guide me.
      >
      > 1.When compiling vim, after having used the vim binaries precompiled for
      > sometime, I'm confused as to where my defaults are now. Here's what I
      > did.
      >
      > *downloaded linux source into ~/vimsource.
      > *bunzip'd & untar'd creating vim62 dir with lots of goodies.
      > *cd'd down to vim62/src
      > *uncommented the Makefile perl options

      Hmm. I prefer ./configure way:
      ./configure --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=big --enable-perlinterp
      --enable-pythoninterp

      > 2. I'm also getting this error when starting 6.2.
      >
      > Error detected while processing /home/ewinger/.vimrc:
      > line 1:
      > E484: Can't open file /usr/local/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim
      >
      > For the life of me I can't figure out why its looking in there. I
      > attached my .vimrc at the bottom.

      Yes. It's strange, should look in
      /usr/local/share/vim/vim62/syntax/syntax.vim

      > 3. having now two working versions of vim on my system, what are the
      > best practices for compiling one's own vim on linux? as far as where to
      > put the source, compile options, etc.

      I am using standard compiler options:
      :r !echo $CFLAGS
      -march=athlon -mcpu=athlon -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -DNDEBUG
      -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT
      :r !echo $LDFLAGS
      -z combreloc

      Probably you would like add stripping flags.

      > 4. How does vim determine which .vimrc files it uses? How can I be sure
      > that the vim I'm running is using the correct files, etc?

      :version

      m.

      Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 10 Mar)
      http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
      Are You There?
    • Eric Winger
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
        A bunch of my mail got dropped during a freak bout of stupidity. If you
        happened to reply to this, could you resend? sorry. thx. Or maybe
        there's a very recent archive someone can point me to. thx

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
          On 2004-04-02, Eric Winger <ewinger@...> wrote:
          > A bunch of my mail got dropped during a freak bout of stupidity. If you
          > happened to reply to this, could you resend? sorry. thx. Or maybe
          > there's a very recent archive someone can point me to. thx

          There's an archive at of this thread at

          http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim&r=1&b=200404&w=2

          You can find more about vim archives at

          http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim

          HTH,
          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Eric Winger
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
            Gary Johnson wrote:

            > There's an archive at of this thread at
            >
            > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim&r=1&b=200404&w=2
            >
            > You can find more about vim archives at
            >
            > http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim

            Thanks for the link. I've reviewed all the comments & suggestions. But
            I've noticed after doing my compile that :version still returns perl &
            python are -. i.e. -perl & -python.

            Here is the configuration command I ran:
            ./configure --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=big --enable-perlinterp
            --enable-pythoninterp --prefix=$HOME/src/vim6

            which did lots of things seeimgly without error. (this should eliminate
            the need for having to tweak the makefile right?)

            then I ran make which said
            link.sh: Linked fine with a few libraries removed

            then I ran make install which seemed to work.

            I included the output of :version below.

            And it doesn't seem to be finding my plugin directory as :VimIRC is
            being reported as a non-command. I copied a copy of the dir to my new
            home directory, but to no avail.

            Thoughts?

            Eric

            Big version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
            +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
            +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
            +comments
            +cryptv +cscope +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
            +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
            +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
            +langmap
            +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
            +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
            +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg
            -osfiletype
            +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
            +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
            +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse
            +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
            +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
            +X11 +xfontset -xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
            system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
            user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
            user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
            fall-back for $VIM: "/home/ewinger/src/vim6/share/vim"
            Compilation:
            gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
            Linking:
            gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXt -lncurses -ldl

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
              Eric Winger wrote:

              > Here is the configuration command I ran:
              > ./configure --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=big --enable-perlinterp
              > --enable-pythoninterp --prefix=$HOME/src/vim6

              I realized a mistake with the prefix which I changed to
              --prefix=$HOME/vim/vim62 but it made not a difference. The $HOME is
              correct /home/ewinger/

              fyi

              eric

              This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential to and/or copyrighted by Key Technology. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. Any views expressed in the email are those of the individual sender unless the sender expressly states them to be the views of Key Technology. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.
            • Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 04:53:31PM -0800, Eric Winger wrote:

                > Thanks for the link. I've reviewed all the comments & suggestions. But
                > I've noticed after doing my compile that :version still returns perl &
                > python are -. i.e. -perl & -python.
                >
                > Here is the configuration command I ran:
                > ./configure --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=big --enable-perlinterp
                > --enable-pythoninterp --prefix=$HOME/src/vim6
                >
                > which did lots of things seeimgly without error. (this should eliminate
                > the need for having to tweak the makefile right?)

                If configure has problems finding your perl library, it will not
                give an error message. It will just arrange to compile without perl
                support. Have a look at vim62/src/auto/config.log to figure out why you
                get -perl .

                > then I ran make which said
                > link.sh: Linked fine with a few libraries removed
                >
                > then I ran make install which seemed to work.
                >
                > I included the output of :version below.

                It looks as though you snipped the first few lines, including the
                date. I am not sure that this is the version you just compiled rather
                than the version that has been there all along.

                > And it doesn't seem to be finding my plugin directory as :VimIRC is
                > being reported as a non-command. I copied a copy of the dir to my new
                > home directory, but to no avail.

                One thing at a time ...

                > Thoughts?
                >
                > Eric
                >
                > Big version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                > +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                [snip]
                > +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
                [snip]

                Is this right?

                > fall-back for $VIM: "/home/ewinger/src/vim6/share/vim"

                HTH --Benji Fisher
              • Eric Winger
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
                  Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > If configure has problems finding your perl library, it will not
                  > give an error message. It will just arrange to compile without perl
                  > support. Have a look at vim62/src/auto/config.log to figure out why you
                  > get -perl .

                  I moved my config.log file, then reran configure. The results are
                  attached in all there glory. I didn't snip because I'm not sure what's
                  relevant. But it appears that there are no errors in the perl detection.

                  > It looks as though you snipped the first few lines, including the
                  > date. I am not sure that this is the version you just compiled rather
                  > than the version that has been there all along.

                  Attached with date below.

                  >>And it doesn't seem to be finding my plugin directory as :VimIRC is
                  >>being reported as a non-command. I copied a copy of the dir to my new
                  >>home directory, but to no avail.
                  >

                  > One thing at a time ...

                  Good idea.

                  Eric

                  :version
                  VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Apr 2 2004 16:59:54)
                  Compiled by ewinger@nuffin
[...]
                  fall-back for $VIM: "/home/ewinger/vim/vim62/share/vim"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 15, 2004
                    On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:01:05AM -0700, Eric Winger wrote:

                    > Benji Fisher wrote:
                    > >
                    > > If configure has problems finding your perl library, it will not
                    > >give an error message. It will just arrange to compile without perl
                    > >support. Have a look at vim62/src/auto/config.log to figure out why you
                    > >get -perl .
                    >
                    > I moved my config.log file, then reran configure. The results are
                    > attached in all there glory. I didn't snip because I'm not sure what's
                    > relevant. But it appears that there are no errors in the perl detection.
                    >

                    > > It looks as though you snipped the first few lines, including the
                    > >date. I am not sure that this is the version you just compiled rather
                    > >than the version that has been there all along.
                    > >

                    > Attached with date below.
                    >
                    > :version
                    > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Apr 2 2004 16:59:54)
                    > Compiled by ewinger@nuffin
                    > Big version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                    [snip]
                    > +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
                    [snip]
                    > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                    > user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                    > user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                    > fall-back for $VIM: "/home/ewinger/vim/vim62/share/vim"
                    > Compilation:
                    > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
                    > Linking:
                    > gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -lXt -lncurses -ldl

                    All right, this seems to be a recently compiled vim, with -perl and
                    -python. It looks as though you have not applied any patches. Last I
                    checked, there were 472 official patches, and it is possible that one of
                    them already solves your problem. I suggest either getting the patches
                    or using CVS (or GNU Arch) to get a more recent version of the source.
                    http://www.vim.org/download.php

                    > This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
                    > running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
                    >
                    > configure:616: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
                    > configure:646: checking for gcc
                    > configure:759: checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works
                    > configure:775: gcc -o conftest conftest.c 1>&5
                    > configure:801: checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler
                    [snip]

                    Ugh. I do not see anything obviously wrong. Comparing with my own
                    config.log, one difference is that mine has lots of flags (including
                    some to link with the perl libs) in those lines (inside the
                    parentheses). I am not sure how this is supposed to work.

                    Conclusion: I cannot figure out what is going wrong, but getting
                    the current version of the source may help.

                    HTH --Benji Fisher