gvim for win32 crashes when enabling syntax for .vim filetype

  • Jean-Rene David
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
      Using gvim 6.2.154 for windows, enabling syntax
      for .vim filetypes closes the window, pure and
      simple. It can open .vim files with no syntax
      highlighting and any other type works fine.

      I also have vim 6.2.98 on cygwin on the same
      machine using the same config files and it works
      fine with .vim filetypes.

      I set verbose=15 and logged the messages to a
      file. The file is here:

      http://home.magma.ca/~jrdavid/vim.log

      syntax.vim gets sourced, then the function SynSet
      exits, then vim crashes.

      I'm stumped. Any help appreciated.
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:46:14AM -0500, Jean-Rene David wrote:
        > Using gvim 6.2.154 for windows, enabling syntax
        > for .vim filetypes closes the window, pure and
        > simple. It can open .vim files with no syntax
        > highlighting and any other type works fine.
        >
        > I also have vim 6.2.98 on cygwin on the same
        > machine using the same config files and it works
        > fine with .vim filetypes.
        >
        > I set verbose=15 and logged the messages to a
        > file. The file is here:
        >
        > http://home.magma.ca/~jrdavid/vim.log
        >
        > syntax.vim gets sourced, then the function SynSet
        > exits, then vim crashes.
        >
        > I'm stumped. Any help appreciated.

        Maybe this is a memory problem, especially if you are stubbornly
        sticking with an old W95 machine with 32 MB of RAM. If you have just
        bought a new XP machine with 8 GB of RAM, the problem is probably
        somewhere else ...

        Here are a couple things to try:

        1. Add to your vimrc:

        :let g:vimembedscript == 0

        (See :help vim-syntax).

        2. Try it on a know, small file, say something in the ftplugin/
        directory of the standard distribution.

        Good luck.

        HTH --Benji Fisher