Re: gVim on Windows and Python

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
      Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul@...> wrote:
      > On Tuesday, March 02, 2004 5:29 AM, Sascha Andres broke the silence of
      > shunyata and uttered:
      >

      > > I do have a python23.dll. How do I tell vim to use this one
      > > instead?
      >
      > The python 2.1 and the Python 2.3 runtime libraries are
      > *incompatible*.
      >
      > You installed vim from the win32 binary installer at the FTP mirrors,
      > right? You'll need to compile your own.
      >
      > See http://www.vim.org/ on how to obtain the source code. Visit
      > http://mingw.org, http://cygwin.com, and http://www.borland.com on how
      > to obtain a free Win32 C compiler and visit your local library for
      > books on how to actually compile the sources. Or find a real person
      > in the neighborhood that could teach you how, if you don't. :-)

      Just my 0.02 € :

      Not everyone is a guru. Wouldn't it be easier (in terms of manipulations,
      ...) to install python21.dll side-by-side with python23.dll on the same
      computer? Or are there other problems?

    • Sascha Andres
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
        On 02.03.2004 (13:30), Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
        > Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul@...> wrote:
        > > You installed vim from the win32 binary installer at the FTP mirrors,
        > > right? You'll need to compile your own.

        Yes, I installed from the binary on vim.org.

        > > See http://www.vim.org/ on how to obtain the source code. Visit
        > > http://mingw.org, http://cygwin.com, and http://www.borland.com on how
        > > to obtain a free Win32 C compiler and visit your local library for
        > > books on how to actually compile the sources. Or find a real person
        > > in the neighborhood that could teach you how, if you don't. :-)

        On my linux system I actually compiled vim from time to
        time, so the sources are here. I decided not to compile vim
        on my own.

        > Not everyone is a guru. Wouldn't it be easier (in terms of manipulations,
        > ...) to install python21.dll side-by-side with python23.dll on the same
        > computer? Or are there other problems?

        I tried this (mainly because Python is just needed by an
        other program that points to 23 per option, so risk is low
        it doesn't run anymore).

        I had success with that. Maybe some scripts on the net won't
        run on this environment, but for current state is OK:

        Perhaps I will look later how to compile vim on Windows. I
        will make a search for vim and Visual Studio.

        Thanks for your help.

        -sa

        --
        sa at programmers-world dot com http://www.livingit.de
        Internet sites:

        Imitation is the sincerest form of television.
        -- Fred Allen
      • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
          On Tuesday, March 02, 2004 7:31 AM, Antoine J. Mechelynck broke the
          silence of shunyata and uttered:

          > Just my 0.02 € :
          >
          > Not everyone is a guru.

          Wow! Do I come across that way? If I were a guru, I'd rather be one of
          the Taoist Immortals (who drank wine, loved women and lost fortunes
          playing mahjongg :-).

          > Wouldn't it be easier (in terms of
          > manipulations, ...) to install python21.dll side-by-side with
          > python23.dll on the same
          > computer? Or are there other problems?

          It is possible. But it can rather give you sorrow than joy due to
          conflicts with versions and base addresses and registry foobars and...
          Besides the recent changes in Python support do make more attractive
          using a vim 6.2.308 than a plain 6.2.0...

          Anyway. Having put that out of the way, you are far better off searching
          the python-users mailing list archive at python.org, activestate's ASPN
          archives or at google groups, in the latter you can search c.l.python as
          well, but in general both miling list and newsgroup contain the same
          postings. I haven't done this in a long time but here it goes, for what
          it is worth:

          (1) Uninstall Python 2.3 from the machine. (Here you may want to run a
          registry cleaner if you have one and know how to use it).

          (2) Install Python 2.1 and (to be in the safe side) make a copy from the
          system directories to a backup place (compressed, best to prevent DLL
          conflicts, just in case). Remove any additions the installer may have
          placed in the PATH (examine AUTOEXEC.BAT is using W9x).

          (3) Install Python 2.3. Search your system directories: you should have
          both python21.dll and python23.dll, else restore python21.dll from
          backup.

          (4) Make sure eveything works. From each python.exe (the ones in
          C:\Python21 and C:\Python23), type:

          Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
          win32
          >>> import sys
          >>> print sys.path_importer_cache
          {'': None, 'C:\\Python23\\lib': None,
          'C:\\Python23\\lib\\site-packages\\Numeric
          ': None, 'C:\\Python23\\Lib\\site-packages\\Pythonwin': None,
          'C:\\Python23': No
          ne, 'C:\\Python23\\lib\\plat-win': None, 'C:\\Python23\\DLLs': None,
          'C:\\Python
          23\\lib\\lib-tk': None, 'C:\\WINNT\\system32\\python23.zip': None,
          'C:\\Python23
          \\Lib\\site-packages\\win32\\lib': None, 'C:\\Python23\\lib\\encodings':
          None, '
          C:\\Python23\\lib\\site-packages': None,
          'C:\\Python23\\Lib\\site-packages\\win3
          2': None}

          The output for Python 2.1.2 (or is it 2.1.3?) should be similar *but
          pointing* to "c:\Python21". If it didn't work, you are out-of-luck and I
          gave you the wrong instructions. Search the c.l.python archives, try
          again.

          (5) Now if the above worked, you are ready to try from Vim's command
          prompt:

          :py import sys
          :py sys.path_importer_cache

          You should have the same results as with python 2.1.2.

          Ahh! I forgot to mention that you could try Steve Hall's binaries at
          http://cream.sourceforge.net/, but I don't know if he supports Python
          2.3.x but rather 2.2.x.
        • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
            On Tuesday, March 02, 2004 8:24 AM, Sascha Andres broke the silence of
            shunyata and uttered:

            > Perhaps I will look later how to compile vim on Windows. I
            > will make a search for vim and Visual Studio.

            You don't have to. You can use Mingw as a hosted cross-compiler under
            Linux (and *BSD as well). http://mingw.org/
          • Antoine J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
              Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul@...> wrote:
              [...]
              > Ahh! I forgot to mention that you could try Steve Hall's binaries at
              > http://cream.sourceforge.net/, but I don't know if he supports Python
              > 2.3.x but rather 2.2.x.

              I use Steve's W32 binaries from http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html
              (Steve's "plain-vanilla" viml distro, I mean not the "Cream" add-ons). Among
              other things, I notice ...;C:\PYTHON22\include;... as part of the -I
              command-line option for compilation;
              also -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON_DLL=\"python22.dll\" so I guess it's Python 2.2
              indeed.

            • Dan Sharp
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
                On Tuesday 02 March 2004 8:23, Sascha Andres wrote:

                > Perhaps I will look later how to compile vim on Windows. I will make a
                > search for vim and Visual Studio.

                As a small plug, I would direct you to my HOWTO at
                http://vimdoc.sf.net/howto/win32-compile (updated version, new URL)
                which should address this topic. If you get to try it, I would love
                to hear any comments you have on it.

                Dan Sharp