Re: Ideal setup for LaTeX

  • A. S. Budden
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Thus spake Avram Lyon:
      > This is all I use, in my .vimrc. I'm not sure how you plan to see what
      > you've produced, if you don't have any graphics system
      [snip]

      If you use latex to make pdfs (e.g. latex,dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf) then you
      can use svp to view the resulting files (uses svgalib). I seem to
      remember it was a bit of a pain getting it to talk nicely with screen
      though. I gave up in the end and went for a nice minimal window manager
      in X.

      Al
    • owen beresford
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:23:17 +0000, "A. S. Budden"
        <vim.mail@...> said:
        > Thus spake Avram Lyon:
        > > This is all I use, in my .vimrc. I'm not sure how you plan to see what
        > > you've produced, if you don't have any graphics system
        > [snip]
        >
        > If you use latex to make pdfs (e.g. latex,dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf) then you
        > can use svp to view the resulting files (uses svgalib). I seem to
        > remember it was a bit of a pain getting it to talk nicely with screen
        > though. I gave up in the end and went for a nice minimal window manager
        > in X.

        I thought screen was a *very light weight* X server/client. As in;
        creates
        a windowing system based on pixels, not 80x25 char grids...
        When I last feeling very minimal, I was going to install it, but never
        got time.

        There are several bits of software called `screen` though...
        --
        owen beresford
        owencanprogram@...

        or over the web
      • linux@tonboelens.nl
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:23:17AM +0000, A. S. Budden wrote:

          > If you use latex to make pdfs (e.g. latex,dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf) then you
          > can use svp to view the resulting files (uses svgalib). I seem to
          > remember it was a bit of a pain getting it to talk nicely with screen
          > though. I gave up in the end and went for a nice minimal window manager
          > in X.

          If I want to see the result, I can ftp the pdf to the computer I work on
          (I work remotely with ssh) and then watch it.

          What I would like to know is, if there is an equivalent functionality
          that (text only) Emacs has where you can automatically select commands
          and the end command is automatically inserted, you can select templates,
          go to the on line help etc. it is called Auctex. Now, I have installed
          the Auctex equivalent for Vim (because I believe that Vim is a much
          'cleaner' editor) and I have noticed that the menu only works in GVim,
          which I prefer not to use.

          Anybody any ideas?

          TIA,

          Ton.

          --
          /ton
          http://www.tonboelens.nl ICQ UIN: 19014349
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
            Dnia Tuesday 02 of March 2004 06:44, linux@... napisaƂ:
            > What I would like to know is, if there is an equivalent functionality
            > that (text only) Emacs has where you can automatically select commands
            > and the end command is automatically inserted, you can select templates,
            > go to the on line help etc. it is called Auctex. Now, I have installed
            > the Auctex equivalent for Vim (because I believe that Vim is a much
            > 'cleaner' editor) and I have noticed that the menu only works in GVim,
            > which I prefer not to use.
            >
            > Anybody any ideas?

            In case you're talking about vim-latexsuite all things like templates,
            and similar are accessible through : commands.

            m.
            Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 1 Feb)
            http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
            Are You There?