Ideal setup for LaTeX

  • Ton Boelens
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2004

      I use Vim with GNU-Screen on a text-only console (no gvim). I would like to
      make the ideal setup for entering, and compiling LaTeX and printing DVI.

      If you have some pointers or tips for me to make such a setup, I would
      be very greatful.

      TIA,

      Ton.

      --
      /ton
      http://www.tonboelens.nl
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2004
        This is all I use, in my .vimrc. I'm not sure how you plan to see what
        you've produced, if you don't have any graphics system, but here's
        something:

        au bufenter *.tex map <F1> :!latex %<CR>
        au bufenter *.tex map <F2> :!xdvi -hush %<.dvi&<CR>

        If you need to print, just replace xdvi with dvips and change the flags
        accordingly. There are, of course, complete sets of macros for LaTeX,
        but I find them to be more a hassle than I'm interested in.

        - Avram Lyon

        Ton Boelens wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I use Vim with GNU-Screen on a text-only console (no gvim). I would like to
        > make the ideal setup for entering, and compiling LaTeX and printing DVI.
        >
        > If you have some pointers or tips for me to make such a setup, I would
        > be very greatful.
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Ton.
        >
        > --
        > /ton
        > http://www.tonboelens.nl

      • A. S. Budden
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          Thus spake Avram Lyon:
          > This is all I use, in my .vimrc. I'm not sure how you plan to see what
          > you've produced, if you don't have any graphics system
          [snip]

          If you use latex to make pdfs (e.g. latex,dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf) then you
          can use svp to view the resulting files (uses svgalib). I seem to
          remember it was a bit of a pain getting it to talk nicely with screen
          though. I gave up in the end and went for a nice minimal window manager
          in X.

          Al
        • owen beresford
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:23:17 +0000, "A. S. Budden"
            <vim.mail@...> said:
            > Thus spake Avram Lyon:
            > > This is all I use, in my .vimrc. I'm not sure how you plan to see what
            > > you've produced, if you don't have any graphics system
            > [snip]
            >
            > If you use latex to make pdfs (e.g. latex,dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf) then you
            > can use svp to view the resulting files (uses svgalib). I seem to
            > remember it was a bit of a pain getting it to talk nicely with screen
            > though. I gave up in the end and went for a nice minimal window manager
            > in X.

            I thought screen was a *very light weight* X server/client. As in;
            creates
            a windowing system based on pixels, not 80x25 char grids...
            When I last feeling very minimal, I was going to install it, but never
            got time.

            There are several bits of software called `screen` though...
            --
            owen beresford
            owencanprogram@...

            or over the web
          • linux@tonboelens.nl
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
              On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:23:17AM +0000, A. S. Budden wrote:

              > If you use latex to make pdfs (e.g. latex,dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf) then you
              > can use svp to view the resulting files (uses svgalib). I seem to
              > remember it was a bit of a pain getting it to talk nicely with screen
              > though. I gave up in the end and went for a nice minimal window manager
              > in X.

              If I want to see the result, I can ftp the pdf to the computer I work on
              (I work remotely with ssh) and then watch it.

              What I would like to know is, if there is an equivalent functionality
              that (text only) Emacs has where you can automatically select commands
              and the end command is automatically inserted, you can select templates,
              go to the on line help etc. it is called Auctex. Now, I have installed
              the Auctex equivalent for Vim (because I believe that Vim is a much
              'cleaner' editor) and I have noticed that the menu only works in GVim,
              which I prefer not to use.

              Anybody any ideas?

              TIA,

              Ton.

              --
              /ton
              http://www.tonboelens.nl ICQ UIN: 19014349
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
                Dnia Tuesday 02 of March 2004 06:44, linux@... napisaƂ:
                > What I would like to know is, if there is an equivalent functionality
                > that (text only) Emacs has where you can automatically select commands
                > and the end command is automatically inserted, you can select templates,
                > go to the on line help etc. it is called Auctex. Now, I have installed
                > the Auctex equivalent for Vim (because I believe that Vim is a much
                > 'cleaner' editor) and I have noticed that the menu only works in GVim,
                > which I prefer not to use.
                >
                > Anybody any ideas?

                In case you're talking about vim-latexsuite all things like templates,
                and similar are accessible through : commands.

                m.
                Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 1 Feb)
                http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
                Are You There?