RE: Hijacked email address

  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2004
      Liguo Song broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:

      > The same thing happened to me. Some spammer is using my email address
      > as FROM address to send out spam. And idea to fight off this?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > Liguo

      Change your email address to something more secure. An address in
      despammed.com to give an example. Then cancel all your mailing
      subscriptions and resubscribe with the new address. That should stop
      virii from being distributed to mailling lists you subscribe and idiotic
      bounce messages from clueless postmasters and people with nothing better
      to do. For other cases, you are out of luck, barring asking your
      sysadmin to change the name of your account and notify everybody your
      know.
    • Liguo Song
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2004
        Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

        >Liguo Song broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:
        >

        >>The same thing happened to me. Some spammer is using my email address
        >>as FROM address to send out spam. And idea to fight off this?
        >>
        >>Thanks.
        >>

        >>Liguo
        >>

        >Change your email address to something more secure. An address in
        >despammed.com to give an example. Then cancel all your mailing
        >subscriptions and resubscribe with the new address. That should stop
        >virii from being distributed to mailling lists you subscribe and idiotic
        >bounce messages from clueless postmasters and people with nothing better
        >to do. For other cases, you are out of luck, barring asking your
        >sysadmin to change the name of your account and notify everybody your
        >know.

        For the spammer, all they need to do is to know my email address. Then
        they use it as the FROM address. For example, I can use
        dradul@... as my from address and use some open mail relay to
        send it to any targets I want.

        "Hijacking" here doesn't mean the email account was comprised and
        controlled by the spammer. It is just that spammer is using it as a
        legal FROM address.

        Anyway, I feel that this is not a technical problem but a legal problem,
        at least the full solution doesn't lie within the technical domain. But,
        I still like to hear any ideas or suggestions as this topic is brought
        up on the list.

        Thanks.

        Liguo (Leo)
      • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 29, 2004
          Liguo Song broke the silence of shunyata and uttered:

          > For the spammer, all they need to do is to know my email address. Then
          > they use it as the FROM address. For example, I can use
          > ******************* as my from address and use some open mail relay to
          > send it to any targets I want.

          *PLONK*
        • Ilya Sher

            Liguo Song wrote:
            | The same thing happened to me. Some spammer is using my email
            address as
            | FROM address to send out spam. And idea to fight off this?

            I dunno, as for now any email from me to vim or vim-dev
            can be sent do /dev/null if it doesn't contain a valid
            PGP signature...
            I wonder if there are automatic filters for that ...