Re: Vim History (imbedded interpreters and such)

  • Dan Sharp
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25 12:08 PM
      Tim Johnson wrote:
      > I have to do a presentation of vi(m) for a LPI certification
      > class. I'd like to provide an historical sidebar:
      >
      > Does any one know when Bram starting offering the ability to
      > compile in perl, python, ruby etc.?
      >
      > Any other historical notes would be welcome.
      > (F.I. vim scripting et. al)

      A good overview is available with

      :help vi_diff
      :help version4
      :help version5
      :help version6

      to see what was added to each of these major versions. For example, in
      the version5.txt there is an entry under "NEW FEATURES" that says 'Perl
      and Python Support'. You may need to do some searching through the
      files as well. While it doesn't show up in at the top of the page, a
      search for TCL in version5.txt shows that it was added for Vim 5.2.

      Actually, having never really read them before, it looks like there is
      all kinds of neat historical info in there. These should be perfect for
      what you want.

      Dan Sharp