Re: Advice

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
      From: Mrudula Dasika, Feb 25, 2004 5:47 AM

      > hi...
      >
      > I am a novice with respect to vim. I am trying to customize the menu
      > and create certain other features with the help of the vim editor. I
      > am specifically looking at syntax highlighting,tags,menus and
      > dictionary.
      >
      > Could somebody advice me as to how I should go about learning
      > things. I have been trying to look at the help files and the process
      > is becoming too academic. Is there some way in each I could organize
      > my learning process so that I could get into the development stage
      > faster.

      Just my opinion, but if you completely read

      :help help.txt
      :help options.txt
      :help eval.txt
      :help map.txt
      :help pattern.txt

      you will know 95% of what you need, and how to jummp to the rest. I've
      never been a big fan of the user manual, and the other documents only
      detail very focused items (like tags and diff) that only minimally
      affect customization, which various options usually reference anyway.

      My $0.02 US.

      --
      Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]

      Cream... the Vim text editor in sheep's clothing!
      http://cream.sourceforge.net