Re: How to view/edit EBCDIC file with VIM ?

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2004
      From: "Masanori Watanabe" <mwatana2@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 11:12 PM
      Subject: How to view/edit EBCDIC file with VIM ?

      > Hi,
      > I'm trying to edit EBCDIC files(cp437) with VIM on
      > Windows.
      > How can I do this ?
      >

      > =====
      > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

      Do you want EBCDIC or cp437? They are very different.

      cp437 is the encoding that used to be the default on DOS before
      codepage-switching came around; AFAIK it is still burned in the ROMS of
      modern PCs. It is a variant of ASCII, very similar to latin1 or to cp850,
      with a few differences in some of the upper-half characters (0x80 to 0xFF).
      It has the space at 0x20, digits at 0x30-0x39, uppercase letters 0x41-0x5a,
      lowercase 0x61-0x7A. You can edit it with most available versions of Vim.

      EBCDIC is an encoding that originates with Hollerith-card machines. It is
      not compatible with ASCII (ASCII originates with papertape machines, just
      for the record). EBCDIC has the digits at 0xF0-0xF9, letters A-I at
      0xC1-0xC9, J-R at 0xD1-0xD9, S-Z at 0xE2-0xE9 (IIRC). It has been quite some
      time since I had any dealings with it, and at that time we didn't print
      lowercase.

      To edit EBCDIC with Vim, you need a version with +ebcdic compiled-in [i.e.
      has("ebcdic")==1]. Most Windows versions, indeed most versions for any
      computers whose native encoding is not EBCDIC, do not have that capability.