Re: and forward search

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jean-Fran├žois Berne" <jean-francois.berne@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 2:45 PM
      Subject: <S-LeftMouse> and forward search

      > Hi *
      >
      > I am using Vim 6.2.57 under Solaris
      >
      > With former versions of (G)Vim when I clicked Shift-LeftMouse (event
      > <S-LefMouse>) this had the same effect as "*" i.e. search forward the
      > word under the cursor.
      > Now it has the effect of scrolling down 3 lines, as if it produced event
      > <MouseDown> (one turn of the mouse's wheel).
      > Note that I do not have a wheel on my mouse.
      >
      > Has anyone seen this behavior? What to do to get back to normal?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > JF Berne

      1. Let's keep our terminology straight: <S-LeftMouse> and <MouseDown> are
      not "events" (they cannot trigger autocommands); for Vim, they act, to all
      extents and purposes, as "keys" (they can appear in the {lhs} of a mapping).
      Since they don't appear on the keyboard, we might term them "pseudo-keys" if
      you will, but not "events" which are something different.

      2. On my 6.2.225 under W98, Shift-LeftMouse creates a visual selection, not
      in strict "-- VISUAL --" mode but in "-- SELECT --" mode, bounded by the
      cursor and the mouse pointer. Several options affect the behaviour of that
      particular pseudokey.

      See
      :help 'mouse'
      :help 'mousemodel'

      It might also have been mapped:

      :map <S-LeftMouse>
      :map! <S-LeftMouse>

      ought to tell you if it is, and to what.

      :map
      :map!
      :scriptnames

      might help you determine where it was done, by noticing which mappings come
      before it, and which ones come after. See also

      :help :redir

      about keeping the output of a command where you can look at it at leisure.

      HTH,