ANN: Tower of Hanoi game

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2004
      Continuing the tradition of writing games in Vim, I just uploaded Tower
      of Hanoi for Vim:

      Unlike the age old macro trick for Vi, this one is a full fledged
      interactive game, so please try it out. Here is the description:

      - Comes with two modes, a demo mode and a play mode.
      - You can start the game by using the command :Hanoi optionally passing
      the number of disks as an argument.
      - If no argument is passed, you are prompted to enter a value.
      - The maximum number of disks is determined based on the size of your
      vim window.
      - You will be prompted to choose between demo or play mode.
      - In demo mode, the script plays for you, just sit and relax.
      - In play mode, you can use h, j, k, l keys to move the disks from pole
      to pole. The disk with dashes represents the current disk that you can
      move.
      - Keys h and k select the current pole, and thus the top most disk on
      the pole.
      - Keys k and j move the disk up and down.
      - In play mode, you can pause the game by pressing <Space>, and come
      back by using :Hanoi command again.
      - You can stop the game at any time by pressing <C-C> or <C-Break>

      I wrote the game for more like the demonstration of Vim's scripting
      capabilities (and for my own fun), but the game could be used to
      practice the hjkl movements too.

      I appreciate any feedback.

      Thanks,
      Hari