Comment issue with ruby.vim

  • Bob Calco
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Anybody:

      I'm fairly new to Vim (on Win32, using Cream), and am having an issue with
      the syntax behavior for Ruby. I've scoured the ruby.vim file but it isn't
      jumping out at me what precisely is causing the behavior that's bugging me.
      Specifically, whenever I try to add a comment, such as to the following:

      # A comment to describe the foo method
      def foo
      end

      def bar
      # a comment to describe what is about to happen
      end

      it pushes the comment to the beginning of the line, where I'm at. So I have
      to manually re-indent the comment line - it seems to think all comment lines
      must be at the beginning of every line, and is not respecting the indent
      level I'm at, even in autoindent mode:

      # A comment to describe the foo method
      def foo
      end

      def bar
      # a comment to describe what is about to happen
      end

      This is terribly annoying, but my mind tells me there's a simple way to fix
      it. I just don't know what it is.

      Sincerely,

      Bob
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
        Bob Calco <bobcalco@...> wrote:
        > Anybody:
        >
        > I'm fairly new to Vim (on Win32, using Cream), and am having an issue
        > with the syntax behavior for Ruby. I've scoured the ruby.vim file but
        > it isn't jumping out at me what precisely is causing the behavior
        > that's bugging me. Specifically, whenever I try to add a comment,
        > such as to the following:
        >
        > # A comment to describe the foo method
        > def foo
        > end
        >
        > def bar
        > # a comment to describe what is about to happen
        > end
        >
        > it pushes the comment to the beginning of the line, where I'm at. So
        > I have to manually re-indent the comment line - it seems to think all
        > comment lines must be at the beginning of every line, and is not
        > respecting the indent level I'm at, even in autoindent mode:
        >
        > # A comment to describe the foo method
        > def foo
        > end
        >
        > def bar
        > # a comment to describe what is about to happen
        > end
        >
        > This is terribly annoying, but my mind tells me there's a simple way
        > to fix it. I just don't know what it is.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Bob

        I suspect you have filetype-dependent indenting on (the default vimrc,
        vimrc_example.vim, sets it). Check it with

        :filetype

        If it says indent is ON, that's what is causing it.

        I had the same problem when I started using Vim but I found how to
        circumvent it, as follows (here is part of my vimrc):

        --- ~/_vimrc ---
        set nocompatible
        language messages en
        runtime vimrc_example.vim
        filetype indent off
        " etc. (other user-specific settings come here)
        --- ~/_vimrc --- end

        "filetype indent off" is the relevant line in this case, and it comes after
        the vimrc_example has been sourced, in order to override the default
        settings.

        see
        :help 'indentexpr'
        :help :filetype
        :help filetype-overview

        HTH,
        Tony.
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
          On 2004-02-01, Bob Calco <bobcalco@...> wrote:
          > Anybody:
          >
          > I'm fairly new to Vim (on Win32, using Cream), and am having an issue with
          > the syntax behavior for Ruby. I've scoured the ruby.vim file but it isn't
          > jumping out at me what precisely is causing the behavior that's bugging me.
          > Specifically, whenever I try to add a comment, such as to the following:
          >
          > # A comment to describe the foo method
          > def foo
          > end
          >
          > def bar
          > # a comment to describe what is about to happen
          > end
          >
          > it pushes the comment to the beginning of the line, where I'm at. So I have
          > to manually re-indent the comment line - it seems to think all comment lines
          > must be at the beginning of every line, and is not respecting the indent
          > level I'm at, even in autoindent mode:
          >
          > # A comment to describe the foo method
          > def foo
          > end
          >
          > def bar
          > # a comment to describe what is about to happen
          > end
          >
          > This is terribly annoying, but my mind tells me there's a simple way to fix
          > it. I just don't know what it is.

          Take a look at

          :help indentkeys-format

          I haven't read it closely enough to see if that could cause what
          you're seeing, but it looks promising.

          HTH,
          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Doug Kearns
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:15:07PM -0500, Bob Calco wrote:
            > Anybody:
            >
            > I'm fairly new to Vim (on Win32, using Cream), and am having an issue with
            > the syntax behavior for Ruby. I've scoured the ruby.vim file but it isn't
            > jumping out at me what precisely is causing the behavior that's bugging me.

            If you're not using the latest runtime files from
            http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/, try that first.

            <snip>

            Regards,
            Doug