mechnism for autoindent

  • Timothy Washington
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
      Does anyone know the mechanism autoindent uses to place the correct
      amount of indents after going to a new line? My vim is autoindenting
      with 1 too may tabs on the next line and I'm trying to fix it. Thanks
      in advance.

      Timothy Washington
      timothyjwashington@...
      416.457.6599
    • Thomas Adam
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
        --- Timothy Washington <timothyjwashington@...> wrote: >
        > Does anyone know the mechanism autoindent uses to place the correct
        > amount of indents after going to a new line? My vim is autoindenting
        > with 1 too may tabs on the next line and I'm trying to fix it. Thanks
        > in advance.

        :set sw=2

        I find that useful.

        -- Thomas Adam

        =====
        "TAG Editor" -- http://linuxgazette.net

        experience will probably kill you. :)"

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
          On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:52:17PM -0500, Timothy Washington wrote:

          > Does anyone know the mechanism autoindent uses to place the correct
          > amount of indents after going to a new line? My vim is autoindenting
          > with 1 too may tabs on the next line and I'm trying to fix it. Thanks
          > in advance.

          Please give a specific example of what happens. Be explicit enough
          that others can try to reproduce it, and say what you want to happen.

          If you would prefer to read a detailed explanation of how vim
          indents, start with

          :help usr_30.txt

          in the users' manual.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
            Timothy Washington <timothyjwashington@...> wrote:
            > Does anyone know the mechanism autoindent uses to place the correct
            > amount of indents after going to a new line? My vim is autoindenting
            > with 1 too may tabs on the next line and I'm trying to fix it. Thanks
            > in advance.
            >

            > Timothy Washington
            > timothyjwashington@...
            > 416.457.6599

            IIUC,

            1) 'autoindent' does not work if you have :filetype indent on (and the
            indent file for the current filetype has set 'indentexpr'), or if 'paste' is
            on, or if you have set 'intentexpr' to non-empty yourself.

            2) Otherwise, if you have set 'autointent', then:

            a) <Enter> in Insert or Replace mode copies the indent of the current line
            to the next one

            b) O or o in Normal mode copies the indent of the line where the cursor was
            to the new line above or below it.

            See
            :help autoindent
            :help indentexpr
            :help :filetype
            :help :filetype-indent-on
            :help :filetype-indent-off
            :help :filetype-overview
            :help o
            :help O

            HTH,
            Tony
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
              On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:26:55AM -0500, Timothy Washington wrote:
              > On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 11:37 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:
              > > On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:52:17PM -0500, Timothy Washington wrote:
              > >
              > > > Does anyone know the mechanism autoindent uses to place the
              > > > correct amount of indents after going to a new line? My vim is
              > > > autoindenting with 1 too may tabs on the next line and I'm trying
              > > > to fix it. Thanks in advance.
              > >
              > > Please give a specific example of what happens. Be explicit
              > > enough that others can try to reproduce it, and say what you want to
              > > happen.
              >
              > You're right. Sorry for the vagueness. I want to be able to control
              > the behaviour of "autoindent" in vim 6.1 on my Mac OS X.
              >

              > WHAT HAPPENS:
              > I am editing an html file. After typing the first opening tag, I press
              > enter and go to the next line. The problem is that the amount of indent
              > tabs given is too much
              >
              > ex)
              > <head>
              > <title ... > // this should be flush with the line below
              > <link rel="stylesheet" href="2.css" type="text/css"/>
              > </head>
              >
              > WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN
              > I want to tell vim to put <title /> 1 extra tab beyond <head/>.

              First, a little bit of list etiquette: please reply on the list,
              not just to one person. There are many friendly people on the list who
              would like to help, and they should be able to see this exchange. There
              may also be lurkers who have the same problem. Second, while I prefer
              adding responses at the bottom of the e-mail, which is the most common
              form here, I try not to be prescriptive about it. But please do not
              reply at the top on a thread where someone has already replied at the
              bottom, or vice-versa: that gets really hard to read.

              When I type in your example, I get

              ===
              <head>
              <title ...>
              <link href="2.css"/>
              </head>
              ===

              We seem to have different settings for the 'shiftwidth' option, but that
              does not bother me.

              Indentation is controlled by the script
              $VIMRUNTIME/indent/html.vim . If you get the current version of this
              script (or upgrade to vim 6.2) then we should get the same results,
              although that is still not what you want. You can modify this script to
              do what you want, or you can "turn it off" with

              :set indentexpr=

              For more details, see

              :help 30.3
              :help 30.4

              in the users' manual. You may also find Section 14 of the FAQ helpful:
              http://vimdoc.sf.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl?faq=1&cs=
              In particular, you can adjust the indent manually (with or without
              turning off the indent script) with <C-T> and <C-D>.

              HTH --Benji Fisher