unset listchars?

  • David Vaartjes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hello list,

      I use the very handy vi "listchars" option as follows:
      set listchars=tab:»·,trail:·

      For example, when this option is set, my code will look
      like this:

      < 164 lines snipped>
      165 foreach ($i = 0; $i < scalar(@$nessusIDs); $i++)
      166 {
      167 »····if ($i eq 0)
      168 »····{
      170 »····}else
      < .. snip..>

      When I want to copy&paste certain lines of code, the "»·"
      listcharacters will be copied as well (as you can see).
      Is there an option to "uset" the "listchars"? I've tried
      "set nolistchars" but that wont work. Does someone have
      a "trick" for this one ?

      Thanks in advance,

      David
      Ing. David Vaartjes
      Adviseur Informatiebeveiliging

      <mailto:d.vaartjes@...>

      ITsec Security Services, Postbus 5120, 2000 GC HAARLEM
      Tel.+31-(0)235420578, Fax.+31-(0)235345477
      http://www.itsec-ss.nl

      Exploit & vulnerability Alerting Service
      http://www.evas.nl

      ITsec Security Services B.V. may not be held liable for the effects or
      damages caused by the direct or indirect use of the information or
      functionality provided by this posting, nor the content contained within.
      Use them at your own risk. ITsec Security Services B.V. bears no
      responsibility for misuse of this posting or any derivatives thereof.
    • Stefan Roemer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        On Fri, Jan 02, 2004, David Vaartjes wrote:
        > I use the very handy vi "listchars" option as follows:
        > set listchars=tab:»·,trail:·
        >
        > For example, when this option is set, my code will look
        > like this:
        >
        > < 164 lines snipped>
        > 165 foreach ($i = 0; $i < scalar(@$nessusIDs); $i++)
        > 166 {
        > 167 »····if ($i eq 0)
        > 168 »····{
        > 170 »····}else
        > < .. snip..>
        >
        > When I want to copy&paste certain lines of code, the "»·"
        > listcharacters will be copied as well (as you can see).
        > Is there an option to "uset" the "listchars"? I've tried
        > "set nolistchars" but that wont work. Does someone have
        > a "trick" for this one ?

        This one does the trick:

        :set nolist

        Best regards

        Stefan
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 02:25:26PM +0100, Stefan Roemer wrote:
          > On Fri, Jan 02, 2004, David Vaartjes wrote:
          [snip]
          > > Is there an option to "uset" the "listchars"? I've tried
          > > "set nolistchars" but that wont work. Does someone have
          > > a "trick" for this one ?
          >
          > This one does the trick:
          >
          > :set nolist

          Here is a little variant:

          :set list!

          Then, you can repeat the command, which is pretty easy with command-line
          completion, to toggle the 'list' option. If you do not use Command-line
          mode in between, you can repeat it with @: (starting in Normal mode).

          :help 'list'
          :help single-repeat
          :help c_<Up>

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Michael Naumann
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            On Friday 02 January 2004 14:14, David Vaartjes wrote:
            > Hello list,
            >
            > I use the very handy vi "listchars" option as follows:
            > set listchars=tab:»·,trail:·
            >
            > For example, when this option is set, my code will look
            > like this:
            >
            > < 164 lines snipped>
            > 165 foreach ($i = 0; $i < scalar(@$nessusIDs); $i++)
            > 166 {
            > 167 »····if ($i eq 0)
            > 168 »····{
            > 170 »····}else
            > < .. snip..>
            >
            > When I want to copy&paste certain lines of code, the "»·"
            > listcharacters will be copied as well (as you can see).
            > Is there an option to "uset" the "listchars"? I've tried
            > "set nolistchars" but that wont work. Does someone have
            > a "trick" for this one ?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > David

            From what you write, I guess you are using vim, not gvim.
            Consider
            :set mouse=nvi

            this way, you won't have to worry about this any longer and
            no need to toggle list before yanking.

            HTH, Michael