Python support in Vim [was: Re: Hello, and allout-vim 031229]

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2004
      Fran├žois Pinard wrote:

      > [Bram Moolenaar]
      >
      > > I do enjoy using Python. I am thinking of a way to intwine Python in
      > > Vim script better. It should help providing more data types without
      > > inventing it all.
      >
      > How does Vim script works? Do you compile it to intermediate code,
      > or perform full analysis at run time even when looping? In the later
      > case, it is not unlikely that Python be faster than Vim script. When in
      > Python, I use `vim.command()' or `vim.eval()', I cannot escape thinking
      > that compilation (or at least scanning) occurs every time.

      Vim comands are interpreted. There is no intermediate code. Some kind
      of pre-compilation could speed up loops and scripts that are used more
      than once. That would be quite a lot of work to implement though.

      115. You are late picking up your kid from school and try to explain
      to the teacher you were stuck in Web traffic.