Vim colors

  • Artin Rebekale
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
      Hello all,
      I've been trying for quite some time to figure out a way to get around all
      the new colors in vim. I know syntax highlighting is nice but in many cases i
      just want to see the text the way everything on my console is: fg white bg
      black. Is there an easy way to set this up?

      thanks
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
        Artin Rebekale <artin@...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I've been trying for quite some time to figure out a way to get
        > around all the new colors in vim. I know syntax highlighting is nice
        > but in many cases i just want to see the text the way everything on
        > my console is: fg white bg black. Is there an easy way to set this
        > up?
        >
        > thanks

        See
        :help syntax.txt

        and in particular
        :help :syn-clear
        :help syntax_cmd

        To disable syntax highlighting for the current buffer

        :syntax clear

        To disable syntax highlighting for all buffers

        :syntax off

        To re-enable syntax highlighting with your own colours if any

        :syntax enable

        To override your own colours with Vim's defaults

        :syntax on

        HTH,
        Tony.
      • Michael Metzger
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
          Use this command in vim when you want syntax highlight off

          :syn off

          and

          :syn on

          When you want the syntax highlight back on.

          Michael

          >>> "Artin Rebekale" <artin@...> 12/30/03 09:12PM >>>
          Hello all,
          I've been trying for quite some time to figure out a way to get around all
          the new colors in vim. I know syntax highlighting is nice but in many cases i
          just want to see the text the way everything on my console is: fg white bg
          black. Is there an easy way to set this up?

          thanks

          dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner (www.intelliblock.net),
          and is believed to be clean.
        • Keith Roberts
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003

            Others mentioned :syn off/on and :syn clear/enable, but if you want to
            customize that a bit, you could create your own color-scheme, say
            "monochrome", where you use only one color, but make it of your choosing,
            rather than the default. You could even create -light and -dark versions,
            or ones for various monochrome colors.

            I haven't figured out how to get Vim to wash the dishes yet, but just about
            everything else it'll do! :)