Re: na backup file wished

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2003
      Jonathan D Johnston <jdjohnston2@...> wrote:
      > On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:09:39 +0100,
      > "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > > bekommt n|scht <ihr.bekommt.nix@...> wrote:
      > > [Tony wrote]
      > > [...]
      > > >
      > > > Yes it is. It is like HOMEPATH in the Windows environment.
      > > > Is $HOME == HOMEPATH or is it a vim-specific "home"?
      > > [...]
      > > IIUC, it can be either. On all Unix systems and some Windows
      > > systems [...]
      >
      > On Win32, if $HOME doesn't exist and both $HOMEDRIVE & $HOMEPATH
      > exist, Vim will create $HOME from the concatenation of $HOMEDRIVE &
      > $HOMEPATH.
      >
      > > help version6.txt

      Buried where it is, among version 6 change and patch descriptions, that fact
      had escaped me.

      > then search for HOMEPATH or, if you speak C, search for HOMEPATH
      > in src/misc1.c .
      >
      > Personally, I define $HOME, even for versions of Windows which define
      > $HOME(DRIVE|PATH). There are plenty of *NIX derived apps which look
      > only for $HOME. Also, I like the consistency of always having $HOME
      > defined, no matter which OS I am currently using.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Jonathan D Johnston

      I agree. My W98 system defines neither, and since I use it single-user, I
      decided to fix HOME at D:\HOME (and VIM at C:\PROGRA~1\VIM) system-wide even
      before launching Windows. But I'm conscious that such a solution is not for
      everybody. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably imitate the
      Unix/Linux scheme (where most home directories are /home/username/) and use
      one or more sub-directories of D:\HOME instead of that directory iyself.
      (The power of hindsight!)