How can I tell encoding to hardcopy command?

  • Eugene Minkovskii
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
      Hello vimmers,

      I have cjvt file in, koi8-r encoding, I download koi8-r.ps How can I
      tell encoding to hardcopy command?

      --
      Сенсорно Ваш, Евгений Миньковский
      Yours Sincerely, Eugene Minkovskii

      <emin@...>
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
        Eugene Minkovskii <emin@...> wrote:
        > Hello vimmers,
        >
        > I have cjvt file in, koi8-r encoding, I download koi8-r.ps How can I
        > tell encoding to hardcopy command?
        >

        > --
        > Сенсорно Ваш, Евгений Миньковский
        > Yours Sincerely, Eugene Minkovskii
        >
        > emin@...

        (a) If you have a functional 'printencoding' option, use it

        if exists("+printencoding")
        set printencoding=koi8-r
        endif

        (b) If you don't (and that includes most Vim versions for Windows, because
        'printencoding' requires +postscript and Windows printing doesn't use
        postscript) then you must have 'encoding' set to koi8-r inside of Vim *and*
        the current codepage set to koi8-r outside of Vim. How to accomplish the
        latter may vary from OS to OS, from version to version of a particular OS,
        and in some cases it may require an additional software pack or be
        impossible altogether.

      • Eugene Minkovskii
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
          Здравствуйте vim,

          AJM> Eugene Minkovskii <emin@...> wrote:
          >> Hello vimmers,
          >>
          >> I have cjvt file in, koi8-r encoding, I download koi8-r.ps How can I
          >> tell encoding to hardcopy command?
          >>

          >> --
          >> Сенсорно Ваш, Евгений Миньковский
          >> Yours Sincerely, Eugene Minkovskii
          >>
          >> emin@...

          AJM> (a) If you have a functional 'printencoding' option, use it

          AJM> if exists("+printencoding")
          AJM> set printencoding=koi8-r
          AJM> endif

          Hmm... I use Linux and vim61. But there are no + or - printencoding
          options when I type :version command Is it too old vim?

          --
          Сенсорно Ваш, Евгений Миньковский
          Yours Sincerely, Eugene Minkovskii

          <emin@...>
        • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
            On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:35:58 +0300, Eugene Minkovskii wrote in message
            <18915510382.20031225203558@...>:

            > Здравствуйте vim,
            >
            > Thursday, December 25, 2003, 5:37:42 PM, you wrote:
            >
            > AJM> Eugene Minkovskii <emin@...> wrote:
            >
            > AJM> (a) If you have a functional 'printencoding' option, use it
            >
            > AJM> if exists("+printencoding")
            > AJM> set printencoding=koi8-r
            > AJM> endif
            >
            > Hmm... I use Linux and vim61. But there are no + or - printencoding
            > options when I type :version command Is it too old vim?

            Yes. You need a 6.2.14 vim to have printencoding and no serious bugs :-).
            I strongly recommend you use a copy of vim 6.2.154 (current patch level).
            Perhaps the easiest is using a-a-p (http://www.a-a-p.org/); second is to
            grab a copy of the CVS repository at Sourceforge (see http://www.vim.org/
            for details). There might be already RPMs and DEBs of vim.6.2.154 out
            there, but I don't know if they exist at all.

            --
            乾坤一滴
            kenkon itteki
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
              Eugene Minkovskii <emin@...> wrote:
              > Здравствуйте vim,
              >
              > Thursday, December 25, 2003, 5:37:42 PM, you wrote:
              [...]
              > > (a) If you have a functional 'printencoding' option, use it
              >
              > > if exists("+printencoding")
              > > set printencoding=koi8-r
              > > endif
              >
              > Hmm... I use Linux and vim61. But there are no + or - printencoding
              > options when I type :version command Is it too old vim?
              [...]

              It does not appear in the :version listing. That's why I used exists() and
              not has() in the if statement. If you do

              :echo exists("+printencoding")

              then a nonzero answer (normally 1) means the option exists and is
              functional. If the answer is 0, then either the option is not compiled-in,
              or it doesn't work.

            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 25, 2003
                Alejandro Lopez-Valencia <dradul@...> wrote:
                [...]
                > :-). I strongly recommend you use a copy of vim 6.2.154 (current
                > patch level). Perhaps the easiest is using a-a-p
                > (http://www.a-a-p.org/); second is to grab a copy of the CVS
                > repository at Sourceforge (see http://www.vim.org/ for details).
                > There might be already RPMs and DEBs of vim.6.2.154 out there, but I
                > don't know if they exist at all.
                >
                > --
                > 乾坤一滴
                > kenkon itteki

                The page http://cream.sourceforge.net/vim.html offers a full gvim
                distribution for Win32. It also links to (among others)
                http://www.fnxweb.com/software/apt/redhat/9/en/i386/RPMS.fnx/ where RPM
                packages are available. All of that is (as of this writing) at release 6.2,
                patchlevel 154.

                For Red Hat and similar Linuxes, download and install the vim-common package
                as well as one of more of vim-minimal, vim-enhanced and vim-x11. The
                executables are named (respecively) vi, vim and gvim and (IIUC) are all in
                the $PATH.