Re: Unicode on Mac OSX

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:49:54PM +0100, Nickolay Kolev wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have
      >
      > set encoding=utf-8
      >
      > in both my .vimrc and my .gvimrc. And still whenever I create a file,
      > be it in the Terminal (which has it's encoding to UTF-8 as well) or in
      > the Vim.app I have compiled myself, the file is either ASCII or NON-ISO
      > ASCII (depending on the symbols I use in it). This is according to the
      > file command. iconv complains it cannot convert these files.
      >
      > Any ideas what might be wrong?
      >
      > Many thanks in advance,
      > Nicky

      IIUC, the problem used to be that Apple did not supply iconv. It
      seems that, with OS X.iii, this has changed. Nonetheless, vim seems to
      compile without iconv support. Maybe there is a problem with the
      configure script. Check the output of

      :version

      for +iconv or -iconv. If, as I think, this is a Mac-specific problem,
      and you want to continue the discussion, I suggest moving it to the
      vim-mac list.

      HTH --Benji Fisher