Re: un :source?

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      ryan kulla <toxicpulse@...> wrote:
      > how do you turn off a plugin from inside vim. like if i have a script
      > file in my plugins dir and i dont want it to be interpreted by vim.
      > without having to take the script out of the plugins directory and
      > reload vim

      There are two kinds of plugins, filtetype plugins (in the ftplugin
      directory) and global plugins (in the plugin directory). (Syntax fand indent
      scripts can be regarded as still more kinds of plugins but "plugin" doesn't
      enter in their names.) I'll assume you are talking about a global plugin.

      The very reason to put a vim script in the plugin directory is in order to
      force vim to source it every time, after your vimrc but (if in GUI mode)
      before your gvimrc.

      Some plugins may define functions or commands to switch off their action,
      but that is entirely at the discretion of the plugin author. To see if your
      particular plugin is of that kind, you might either try the help (if any)
      for the plugin, or

      :view <dirname>/plugin/<filename>.vim

      where <dirname> is one of the directories in your 'runtimepath', and
      <filename>.vim is the name of the plugin script.

      If you want a particular script to run only on demand, and not every time
      (g)vim is started, then the plugin directory is not the right place for it.

      HTH,