Re: Unicode on Mac OSX

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Nickolay Kolev <nmkolev@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have
      >
      > set encoding=utf-8
      >
      > in both my .vimrc and my .gvimrc. And still whenever I create a file,
      > be it in the Terminal (which has it's encoding to UTF-8 as well) or in
      > the Vim.app I have compiled myself, the file is either ASCII or
      > NON-ISO ASCII (depending on the symbols I use in it). This is
      > according to the file command. iconv complains it cannot convert
      > these files.
      >
      > Any ideas what might be wrong?
      >
      > Many thanks in advance,
      > Nicky

      'encoding' defines how (g)vim represents your data internally

      'fileencoding' says how (Vim thinks that) the file is encoded on disk. It
      has a local value for each buffer, and also a global value used to set the
      local one whenever you create a new file.

      'fileencodings' (with s) defines the heuristics used by (g)vim to set the
      'fileencoding' (without s) when reading an existing file. Note that if there
      is at least one single-byte encoding in 'fileencodings', anything following
      it is never used (so if there are more than one, only the first one is ever
      used).

      'termencoding' tells (g)vim how your keyboard represents the data you type.
      It also tells console Vim (but not gvim) how the data must be encoded to be
      properly represented onscreen. (gvim can show anything onscreen if your
      'guifont' has the glyphs for it).

      See
      :help 'encoding'
      :help 'fileencoding'
      :help 'fileencodings'
      :help 'termencoding'
      :help 'guifont'
      :help 'bomb'
      :help ++opt
      :help :set
      :help :setlocal
      :help :setglobal

      and also the following info about UTF-8 and Unicode in general, as used by
      Vim (mostly by gvim):

      :help Unicode

      http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl#35.1 and the rest
      of section 35 too

      http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=246 (which presents more
      or less the same info as in section 35 of the FAQ, arranged a little
      differently)

      (set_utf8.vim), a scriptlet built around what to change in which sequence to
      switch over cleanly to UTF-8 from whatever national encoding gvim finds at
      startup (and would keep if there were no vimrc and no gvimrc to tell it
      otherwise). Experience has told me that forgetting one apparently
      insignificant detail can sometimes lead to disaster. In particular, ":set
      encoding=utf8" usually has lots of disastrous side-effects if used alone;
      proper measures have to be taken to make it all work harmoniously together.

      ...and if you look at the above-mentioned tip, if you download the
      above-mentioned script, and have an opinion about them, don't forget to vote
      for them (or maybe against them) at vim-online.

      HTH,
      Tony.
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:49:54PM +0100, Nickolay Kolev wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have
        >
        > set encoding=utf-8
        >
        > in both my .vimrc and my .gvimrc. And still whenever I create a file,
        > be it in the Terminal (which has it's encoding to UTF-8 as well) or in
        > the Vim.app I have compiled myself, the file is either ASCII or NON-ISO
        > ASCII (depending on the symbols I use in it). This is according to the
        > file command. iconv complains it cannot convert these files.
        >
        > Any ideas what might be wrong?
        >
        > Many thanks in advance,
        > Nicky

        IIUC, the problem used to be that Apple did not supply iconv. It
        seems that, with OS X.iii, this has changed. Nonetheless, vim seems to
        compile without iconv support. Maybe there is a problem with the
        configure script. Check the output of

        :version

        for +iconv or -iconv. If, as I think, this is a Mac-specific problem,
        and you want to continue the discussion, I suggest moving it to the
        vim-mac list.

        HTH --Benji Fisher