Digest Messages Appear as Attachments

  • Steve Amerige
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      I use Outlook Express and receive Vim mailings in digest format.
      The messages show up as attachments. Other than changing mail
      programs, is there anything I can do to coax Outlook Express to
      show the attachments inline?

      Thanks,
      Steve Amerige

      P.S. I have tried other mail programs, and each has its bad points:

      Outlook - threads ("conversations") are terrible: when viewing by
      conversations, every message shows a "+" by it, so you have to open
      a thread of even 1 message. It makes threads nearly useless.
      Also, Outlook stores messages in one huge file. Terrible for backups.

      Eudora - separates attachments from messages. Not corporate supported.

      Some mailers failed to open certain attachments (loss of content); others
      messed up on the date stamp of the message. Some are dead ends (you
      can't import messages from the mailer to another mailer should you decide
      to later).

      So, I am hoping for some solution for Outlook Express. The present
      workaround I use is to View Details of the message showing all content.
      I copy the content to my favorite editor: Vim!
    • Russell Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        Steve Amerige wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I use Outlook Express and receive Vim mailings in digest format.
        > The messages show up as attachments. Other than changing mail
        > programs, is there anything I can do to coax Outlook Express to
        > show the attachments inline?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Steve Amerige
        >
        > P.S. I have tried other mail programs, and each has its bad points:
        >
        > Outlook - threads ("conversations") are terrible: when viewing by
        > conversations, every message shows a "+" by it, so you have to open
        > a thread of even 1 message. It makes threads nearly useless.
        > Also, Outlook stores messages in one huge file. Terrible for backups.
        >
        > Eudora - separates attachments from messages. Not corporate supported.
        >
        > Some mailers failed to open certain attachments (loss of content); others
        > messed up on the date stamp of the message. Some are dead ends (you
        > can't import messages from the mailer to another mailer should you decide
        > to later).
        >
        > So, I am hoping for some solution for Outlook Express. The present
        > workaround I use is to View Details of the message showing all content.
        > I copy the content to my favorite editor: Vim!

        Mozilla.
      • Ing. Stanislav Sitar
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hi.

          I am receiving this mailing list on Windows too.
          That is what I must use at work. (There is no AutoCAD, or Corel Draw! for linux)

          I use Netscape 4.7 and I have had absolutely no problem with mail. Ever.

          The digests appear just right.

          I am not trying to persuade you to use Netscape, I am just telling you there is
          nothing wrong with digests.

          By the way.
          Have you tried Sylpheed Claws?
          http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/win32/
          You do not have to copy mail to Vim. You can set up Vim as an editor for mails
          in Sylpheed. It really works. Give it a try.

          Happy Vimming
          Stano.