Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Document encoding autodetection

Expand Messages
  • DukO
    Hello all, I m running RH9 machine with UTF-8 encoding as the core one. Time to time I m editing documents in ISO-8859-2 and CP-1250 encoding. To make my
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello all,

      I'm running RH9 machine with UTF-8 encoding as the "core" one.
      Time to time I'm editing documents in ISO-8859-2 and CP-1250
      encoding. To make my life easier, I've put into my .vimrc file
      the following line:

      set fileencodings=utf-8,iso-8859-2,cp1250,latin1

      Well, but it doesn't work as I can't see properly some characters.
      Probably the autodetection fails or selects wrong encoding.

      Nevertheless, if I let the .vimrc file like:

      set fileencodings=utf-8,latin1

      and use command:

      e ++enc=cp1250 <filename>

      then it works OK, but it is too clumsy. Is there any way out?

      Thanks,

      Dusan Kolar
    • Karel Polak
      From: DukO Date: Mon, 1 December 2003 ( 2:00 PM) Hello, I m not absolutely sure, but I think that it is impossible to distinguish between
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        From: DukO <duko@...>
        Date: Mon, 1 December 2003 ( 2:00 PM)

        Hello,

        I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that it is impossible to
        distinguish between ISO-8859-2 and CP1250 encodings because they are
        different only in two chars. It means that the only way you can use is
        :e ++enc=cp1250 <filename>

        With best regards

        KOdlik

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm running RH9 machine with UTF-8 encoding as the "core" one.
        > Time to time I'm editing documents in ISO-8859-2 and CP-1250
        > encoding. To make my life easier, I've put into my .vimrc file
        > the following line:
        >
        > set fileencodings=utf-8,iso-8859-2,cp1250,latin1
        >
        > Well, but it doesn't work as I can't see properly some characters.
        > Probably the autodetection fails or selects wrong encoding.
        >
        > Nevertheless, if I let the .vimrc file like:
        >
        > set fileencodings=utf-8,latin1
        >
        > and use command:
        >
        > e ++enc=cp1250 <filename>
        >
        > then it works OK, but it is too clumsy. Is there any way out?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dusan Kolar
        >
        >
        >
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        ... ISO-8859-2, cp1250 and latin1 are 3 different 8-bit encodings. Since there is no possible failure for detecting an 8-bit encoding via the fileencodings
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          DukO <duko@...> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm running RH9 machine with UTF-8 encoding as the "core" one.
          > Time to time I'm editing documents in ISO-8859-2 and CP-1250
          > encoding. To make my life easier, I've put into my .vimrc file
          > the following line:
          >
          > set fileencodings=utf-8,iso-8859-2,cp1250,latin1
          >
          > Well, but it doesn't work as I can't see properly some characters.
          > Probably the autodetection fails or selects wrong encoding.
          >
          > Nevertheless, if I let the .vimrc file like:
          >
          > set fileencodings=utf-8,latin1
          >
          > and use command:
          >
          > e ++enc=cp1250 <filename>
          >
          > then it works OK, but it is too clumsy. Is there any way out?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Dusan Kolar

          ISO-8859-2, cp1250 and latin1 are 3 different 8-bit encodings. Since there
          is no possible "failure" for detecting an 8-bit encoding via the
          'fileencodings' option, it is not possible to autodetect more than one of
          them. Your 'fileencodings' will never autodetect cp1250 or latin1 because of
          this limitation. But if you use ++enc with the proper encoding, it should
          work, as you noted.

          See
          :help 'fileencodings'

          and scroll down to WRONG VALUES: (a forward search on WRONG might help).

          Removing and adding encodings with something like

          :set fencs-=iso-8859-2
          :set fencs-=cp1250
          :set fencs-=latin1
          :set fencs+=cp1250

          changing the last line as necessary, would IMHO be even more clumsy, unless
          you had a whole bunch of files to edit sharing the same encoding.

          Regards,
          Tony.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.