Re: compiling VIM in Mingw

  • Dan Sharp
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
      Martin Sweeney wrote:

      > I have got a copy of VIM 6.2 source which I got from the www.vim.org
      > <http://www.vim.org> site and have built it on mingw 3.1.0.1 on msys
      > 1.0.9 using the command:
      > make -f Make-ming.mak GUI=no
      >
      > When I try to execute the outputted vim.exe file the editor wont load.
      > However the executable appears to be valid as a vim --help and vim
      > --version display the correct information. I also tried a
      > 'which vim' to make sure that its not using another copy, which it isnt.
      >
      > I compiled vim using mingw-gcc.exe and with gcc.exe both give me the
      > same result..
      >
      > Any ideas?
      > Do I need to setup vim's vimrc file in order to get it to run?

      I was just able to reproduce this issue. I assume you are running under
      the MSys rxvt terminal. Basically, if you run the newly compiled vim
      under a regular windows console (cmd.exe or command.com) it will run
      correctly. The problem it that the MSys environment is more like a
      normal Unix (or Cygwin) environment.

      I thought that to get a Vim that runs in the MSys rxvt you could just do
      the normal Unix-style 'make', but apparently not. I just tried it and
      get compile errors because both os_win32.h and os_unix.h are being
      included, so the MSys rxvt is not a pure Unix environment like Cygwin.
      I don't know what they did to compile the Vim 5.8 that comes as part of
      MSys.

      Dan Sharp