vim and sniff

  • Michael Denio
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2003
      I'm trying to get vim and sniff to talk and for the most part it is a
      one-way conversation. I can connect to sniff and from sniff I can edit
      the file in vim (ie., have sniff tell vim to edit it.) I can't get any
      vim ":sniff" commands to work though (of course, the exception is
      connect and disconnect. I'm running vim 6.2.149 and sniff4.0.2 on
      Linux. Anyone ever see this?

      P.S. When I try to execute a command all I see is the message in the vim
      message area. For example,

      Show class in hierarchy: TOMThreadDispatcher

      no area, nothin'

      thanks,

      --
      Michael Denio (Michael.Denio@...)
      Equity Trading Infrastructure
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2003
        On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:00:48PM -0500, Michael Denio wrote:

        > no area, nothin'

        Let me correct my typo. That would be:

        no error, nothin' :)

        --
        Michael Denio (Michael.Denio@...)
        Equity Trading Infrastructure
      • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2003
          Michael Denio wrote:

          >I'm trying to get vim and sniff to talk and for the most part it is a
          >one-way conversation. I can connect to sniff and from sniff I can edit
          >the file in vim (ie., have sniff tell vim to edit it.) I can't get any
          >vim ":sniff" commands to work though (of course, the exception is
          >connect and disconnect. I'm running vim 6.2.149 and sniff4.0.2 on
          >Linux. Anyone ever see this?

          I don't know anything about sniff myself; however, your vim needs to be
          compiled for sniff support for the sniff commands to be available. To do
          so:
          configure --enable-sniff --with-features=huge
          make
          Of course, I haven't done this myself...

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell
        • Michael Denio
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
            On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:44:26PM -0500, Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:

            > I don't know anything about sniff myself; however, your vim needs to be
            > compiled for sniff support for the sniff commands to be available. To do
            > so:
            > configure --enable-sniff --with-features=huge
            > make
            > Of course, I haven't done this myself...

            Yes, Vim was compiled with sniff support. I can connect to sniff and
            edit the file from sniff in vim, I just can't get vim to affect sniff.

            --
            Michael Denio (Michael.Denio@...)
            Equity Trading Infrastructure
          • William Natter
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
              Sniff support was one of the reasons I downloaded Vim to compile it
              myself. However, I have struggled much with Sniff (on other fronts) and
              gave up on that idea. I much preferred using their Makefile support. I
              created myself a small Makefile to automatically trigger compilation
              under whatever platform I want. Now, all I have to do is type ":make" in
              Vim: if there are errors, Vim jumps directly there! Neat, simple, and I
              can still have Sniff on the side for cross-referencing if I need to.

              William