RE: Updated Vim 6.2.154 for Windows

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 24, 2003
      From: Krall Ed-P27726, Nov 24, 2003 12:06 PM
      > Steve Hall writes
      >
      > > I know this (and our installer code, gvim.nsi, nearby in CVS)
      > > aren't perfect yet, but I'd appreciate any comments towards
      > > improving them.
      >
      > However, there is one cosmetic problem with gVIM. The splash screen
      > contains garbled text:
      >
      > "Modified by
      > o TCL stub resouVim is open source and freely distributable
      > o Conceal"
      >
      > If I select Help-->About, I get
      >
      > Modified by
      > o TCL stub resouVim iscopenbsource.and)freelyndistributable
      > o Conceal

      This is due to Vim mis-handling the multi-line MODIFIED_BY var I use
      at compilation. Not sure how to hack around this because I think it's
      important to document all non-official patches applied which sometimes
      requires more than one line.

      --
      Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]
    • Steve Hall
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 23, 2003
        From: Bram Moolenaar, Dec 23, 2003 11:43 AM
        > Charles Campbell wrote:
        > > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > >
        > > > The MODIFIED_BY item is to be used for a person's name, not for
        > > > several lines of text!
        > >
        > > Well, I've made a few mods (startreplace(), vismode()) but I also
        > > use Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax patch. It didn't look
        > > convenient to have more than one patcher mentioned, though...
        >
        > In my opinion it is not the names of the people who contributed that
        > should be mentioned here, but the name of the person that decided
        > which patches are included. Thus a "Charles Campbell" version would
        > include patches that Charles liked and wanted to build Vim with.

        Oh, I figured that's what "Compiled by" implied. :)

        From: Benji Fisher, Dec 23, 2003 11:29 AM

        > Perhaps what we need is a standard place to describe the
        > modifications. Something like doc/modified.txt perhaps? Is there
        > enough room on the :version output for
        >
        > Modified by: Ugly H. Acker (see doc/modified.txt for details)
        >
        > (assuming that one sets MODIFIED_BY to "Ugly H. Acker" at compile time)?

        This of course reduces the "name in lights factor" but would be better
        for providing more verbose description for all unofficial patches.

        --
        Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]